Jordan was escorted down a long white hallway by 4 stoic men dressed in white. Every five paces there was a door on the right; white doors with no windows or openings, not even numbers. On the left stood a cement wall painted white; no windows, no blemishes. It was completely sterile.
The men stopped at a door that was opened. Inside it was white. The bed was white, the sheets, the blanket, pillow, and casing. The walls, ceiling floor, white. There was a porcelain sink and commode, all white.
The door was shut and Jordan lived in whiteness for a week, a month, a year, he did not know.
At night the only sound was that of his own heart and the slightest movement of his body sounded like and avalanche. He heard his eyes blink. The sounds of his own body were so intense sleep came only after exhaustion.
His meals were white rice and milk served on a white tray delivered by a man dressed in white.
At last one day it happened. He closed his eyes and the darkness was gone. All he could see was white. Every thought, memory, and dream were in shades of white.
Day after day he pounded or tapped the wall in a rhythmic pattern hoping for contact with someone next to him to respond. There was always nothing.
One day the door opened a man in a white suit appeared. His hair was white. He stood in the doorway. Jordan stood up to him. The man handed him a white tablet with a black pen.
“Think carefully, Jordan,” the man said. “Write what has been taken from you but you still possess. Write what your room does not have?”
Jordan turned, squinted, and scanned the room. He closed his eyes trying to conjure a thought beyond white to write on the paper. He turned back to the man and scribbled on the tablet. Jordan handed the tablet back to the man.
The man looked at the tablet and raised an eyebrow. “Hope,” he said. “You are free, sir.”
Jordan walked past the man and toward an open door at the end of the hallway. Suddenly he turned and walked back to the man in the white suit. Jordan held out his hand. The man handed him the pen. Jordan went back inside the room and etched hope on the wall next to the bed.
Jordan left the room and handed the pen back to the man.
“You know we will wipe it clean,” the man said.
“I just traced it,” Jordan said. “It’s been there all along. It’s written in white. After you’re here for a while you can see it. It‘s something you can‘t paint over or wipe away.”
- Rent or removed? | A Teacher’s Blog
- The Great White… | The Jittery Goat
- Enjoying Outdoors | Dance with the Rain
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | My Outlook on the World
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Under the Monkey Tree
- The Outsider | My Little Avalon
- Monica Spear’s Murder Shines Light on Venezuela’s Violent Crime/Se resalta la violencia venezolana con la muerte de Mónica Spear | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- DP Daily prompt: The Outsiders | Sabethville
- One Night of Invisibility | likereadingontrains
- Cold Glass | Kate Murray
- The Outsiders | A mom’s blog
- Sounds from the Outside | pen . paper . storm
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | laura-in-china
- Daily Prompt: Outside | Not The Sword But The Pen
- The Outsiders | My Days In A Song
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Downtown Chicago in the Early Hours | As I please
- Outsider | Lost in Adeline’s
- Look out for the outsiders | Sue’s Trifles
- daily prompt: the otsiders | aimanss…
- The Outsiders? | Geek Ergo Sum
- Outside Looking In | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- The language of Heaven? | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- worn | yi-ching lin photography
- 248. Outside Looking In | Barely Right of Center
- That Mirror Image: What has Changed | THE OVERCOMING
- The Outsiders | L5GN
- Outside | Rebecca Barray – Writer/Photographer
- Little Jimmy | Code Name Incog
- The Outsiders | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: The Outsider | Square One Notes
- Looking Inside | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Finding Life
- Daily Prompt: Outside: Hunting Senior Portraits | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Staying Outside Helps | crookedeyebrows
- Losing Balance | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- My Coorg Trip | all my likes
- The Outsiders | Shakespeare’s Sugar Spun Sister
- The Best Thing About Night Shifts | HEART KINDLING
- The Outsider in me | Life Love Lily
- Pennine Photography
- Children and Chocolate Outside: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- DAILY PROMPT: FOREVER OUTSIDE, ALWAYS PEERING IN | SERENDIPITY
- Carte Blanche: | Shade Walker
- Outside But In | Lisa’s Kansa Muse ~ Dreamy abstraction in a 100 year old Four Square Farm House
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Awl and Scribe
- 6 critical things I wish I knew three years ago about how to reduce cholesterol | The Curious Giraffe: Habits for Radiant Well-Being
- Resonate | Daily Prompt | Word Disorder
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | iChristian
- Daily Prompt: Outside in Ha Long Bay | Mishe en Place
- My New ‘Don’t Ask’ Policy | Just Visiting This Planet
- Out Back… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders : Disfixional
- The magic window | Life is great
- WINTER WISH « MY WALL
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders « Mama Bear Musings
- The Outsiders – | Randomlyabstract’s Blog
- looking in from outside | sarahscapes
- The Other Side | Retrofocus
- Swallowed ghosts | shame
- Daily Prompt: What it looks from the outside | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- A Picture Metaphor of Depression |
- The To Be Continued… of Falling in Love | An Upturned Soul
- Outsider | johnny ojanpera
- Disassociation – Being the Outsider | Real Life Co.
- A little different… musings on blogging from the outside | Vampire Maman
- Always peering in… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Unclean!!!! Unclean? /The Outsider | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- The Outsiders | The Nameless One
- Blind | Stories from aside
- The Outsiders | dreaming of melville
- BLACK OUT | hastywords
- Outside | Northwest Frame of Mind
- Of being outside, looking in | Concentrate On Yourself
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | One Starving Activist
- I Didn’t Know I Wasn’t Welcome Here | Grilled Cheese (& Other Things That Make My World Go ‘Round)
- Outside Look of a Dream | Passionate Dreaming
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | Basically Beyond Basic
- Door to the Past: Outside of Presidio Building | Exploring the world
- The Whims and Wishes of One Little Bug | meanderedwanderings
- Outsider: Struggles with Religious Identity | forgiveness for wanderers
- Outside? | Words ‘n Pics…
- The Outsiders | Wicked Words
- Outside to Inside.. | Dreams to Reality !
- Going Outside? | Photography Journal Blog
- Drops of Rain Outside | Crumbs Sugar Cookie and Pillow Featherbed Twins
- I saw me | Emovere
- Daily Prompt: Outside Looking In | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: The Outsiders | To Breathe is to Write
- PLAYING WITH DEATH | Standing Ovation, Seated
- An Outsider on Christmas Eve | melanielynngriffin
- The Outsiders:Daily Prompt | The Joy of Health Nutrition and Beauty
- In or Out? | Fictionalism
- The Stranger Inside Me | Dick-ta-tion
- This Outsider, Right Here | aMUSEing THINGS
- The outsiders | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl