It was the first day back to work after the Christmas and New Year’s holiday. Eldon hurriedly sipped a cup of coffee and placed it in the sink. He checked his pockets for the car keys.
“Martha!” he called out. “Have you seen my keys?”
Martha was busily in front of the mirror in the bathroom applying eyeliner. “My lord, Eldon!” she said. “You left them in the car!”
“You drove my car last,” Eldon said. “Remember, you had to go the store for lip gloss and I never get the right kind so you went yourself.”
“Oh,” Martha said, “but you are forgetful and unorganized.”
“Come here for a moment, Dear,” Eldon said.
Exasperated Martha walked out of the bathroom with her eyeliner in hand. “My lord, what do you want now?”
“Just one thing, Dear,” Eldon said. “Please, I’m not your lord, owner and master, yes, but not your lord.”
Martha thrust her fists into her hips and pursed her lips tightly. “You are unorganized and have a stupid sense of humor. That’s something you have got to work on.”
“Being lord, I don’t see the point,” Eldon smiled.
“I want you to work on something for the next year; getting yourself organized and not making a joke out of everything. Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution that you kept?” Martha said.
“No,” Eldon said.
“Why not?” Martha asked.
“It depends on the cooperation of others,” Eldon said.
“Like who?” Martha said.
“You,” Eldon said.
“What can I do to help you keep your resolution?” Martha said.
“Instead of coming home at the end of the day,” Eldon said. “Just take a plane someplace and disappear.”
“There you go with the jokes again,” Martha said.
“The lord doesn’t joke,” Eldon said.
“You should have said something long ago,” Martha said. “You are such a procrastinator. That’s something else you should work on.”
“The lord does not procrastinate,” Eldon said. “He just has perfect timing.”
Other Daily Prompters
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Basically Beyond Basic
- 500 Words | A Teacher’s Blog
- The Lord Never Procrastinates | The Jittery Goat
- A Bit of Political Rap | As I please
- Progress | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Insanitree
- Progress – A Daily Prompt Post | My Little Avalon
- Making Progress – My first chapbook | Feel & Rebuild Your Self Confidence
- Progress | Geek Ergo Sum
- COMPROMISE ANYTHING BUT TRUTH | crookedeyebrows
- Making Progress – My first chapbook | Now Have At It!
- My Entry. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Blogging progress or blogging process. | Artifacts and Fictions
- Trust | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Progress | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Losing the plot | writemybrainsout
- What I want to see here this time next year | The Secret World of Pixie Knucklecracker
- Progress? | Climb Every Molehill
- Onward! | Active Army Wife
- Matthew, Continued | Not a Punk Rocker
- Daily prompt | all my likes
- DP Daily Prompt: Progress | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Escape from Chaos
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Awl and Scribe
- Look Forward! | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- Continuing On . . . | meanderedwanderings
- A Wider View | Daily Prompt: Progress | likereadingontrains
- Ahh; GittyUp! | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Melissa Holden
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Progress « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Progress | The Random Sparks
- Daily Prompt: Progress | From Slacker To Scribe
- Blogging Goals for 2014! | The Photo Faith Challenge
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- WE’VE COME A LONG WAY | SERENDIPITY
- Hunners o hits | Ideolectable
- Alive | Life is great
- The Ghost of the Future | marjanitalarosa
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Diary of Dennis
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)
- Holding On | Flowers and Breezes
- 2014 Song for the Year | lifewithgreeneyes
- In 2014, I Plan to Spend Time With A Lot of White Straight Men
- Daily Prompt: Progress | thejimmieg
- Fearless In 2014: The Satisfaction of Progress | A Sober Head Full Of Confusion
- DAILY PROMPT CHALLENGE: PROGRESS | thoughts and entanglements
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Finding Life
- Blog Dream. « ayimas
- Progress | Short Story Sally
- BECAUSE OF YOU | hastywords
- Progress | Wicked Words
- Progress | Transforming Mommy
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- …and THEN???? | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Learning to Fly…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Progress | Rebecca Barray
- Progress – in drawing and stuff | artinstructor
- I will not answer the question | Teacherpants
- Twenty-Fifteen | field of thorns
- Progress… | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Beauty, Inside and Out | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Looking Back/Looking Forward: 2014 | Laith’s Ramblings
- Location, Location, Location. Plus eye candy, preferably. | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Progress | To Breathe is to Write
- I Want To Remember My Password – That Is All | dreamsinalaska
- Carpe Diem | Best of 2014 ??? | vic briggs
- Progess? | Stuff & Things
- Reclaim | Life With A Gift
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Roseylinn’s Blog
- More love and peace ! | Dreams to Reality !
- Progresso… em 2015 | Sonhos desencontrados…
- Daily Prompt: Progress – Hopes and Dreams | L5GN
- Sky’s the limit
- Daily Prompt: Tomorrow, There Be Progress | One Starving Activist
- this year is gonna be incredible! | This Signal Here
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Occasional Stuff
- We’ll Never be Royals (Yet) | The Armchair Socialite
- Progress | Mushy Cloud
- Daily Prompt: Progress | A Mixed Bag
- 14 Facts About Me | Zero To Hero: 30 Days to a Better Blog | lisette
- Daily Prompt: Progress | Morrighan’s Muse