Spike and I have been cell mates for five years. I don’t trust Spike even though he has become and ordained preacher of The Church of Hardcore Unredeemable Institutionalized Wayward, Lost, and Forgotten Souls of Those Doomed for Perdition Saved by Grace. He speaks a powerful sermon.
He insists I call him Reverend Spike. At 6’7” and weighs 310 he commands a lot of reverence.
Anyway, Reverend Spike said to me last night at the stroke of midnight just when the new year was about to begin, “Brother, are you where you want to be?”
It didn’t take me long to say, “No.”
“Where would you like to be, Brother?” Reverend Spike said.
“Well,” I said. “The bottom bunk for one.”
“Hey, I help you up to the top bunk,” Reverend Spike said defensively.
“Tossing me like a sack of dirty laundry does not exactly qualify as helping,” I said. “It’s kind of like being tossed from the ring on a pay-for-view World Wrestling Federation event.”
“Okay, besides the lower bunk,” Reverend Spike said.
“Well, I’d like to be out,” I said. “But I got mandatory sentencing for bank robbery. I was kind of hoping for an early parole.”
“What if you make parole?” Reverend Spike said. “What will you do with your life?”
I hung my head over the side of the bunk and whispered. “I got the money stashed away. Nobody knows where it’s at.”
“Woe ye of little faith,” Reverend Spike said. “If ye have faith the size of a mustard seed ye can move mountains.”
“What about you, Reverend Spike?” I said. “Where would you like to be?”
It didn’t take Reverend Spike long to say, “Heaven.”
“Don’t you have to die first?” I said.
“I’m trying to work my way around that one,” Reverend Spike said.
“Reverend Spike,” I said. “You never have told me what you did to get in here.”
“Serial killer,” Reverend Spike said. “I sure miss it. At least a dozen or so. Snapped their necks just like opening a jar of pickles. And I got the urge again.” And he said quiet, distinctly, and eerily, “Yeah, I got the urge real bad. And I got few options as to whose next.”
“Maybe you should pray about it,” I suggested. My mind is racing like a cockroach when the lights come on.
The next thing you know Reverend Spike was on his knees beside the bunk mumbling a prayer.
I figured there was nothing to lose. “Reverend Spike,” I said low and divine-like.
“Yes, lord,” Reverend Spike said calmly.
“Leave your bunk mate be,” I said. “He is a good man.”
“But he has committed many sins and deserves to die,” Reverend Spike prayed.
“I have forgiven him,” I said.
“I’m asking for a sign lord,” Reverend Spike prayed. “If he tells me where the stolen money is before morning I will let him live. It is up to you lord.”
Frankly, I see the Reverend Spike backsliding on this one.
“But, Reverend Spike,” I said. “You can’t get it. You are serving a life term. What good will it do you?”
“I can give it to thee, lord,” Reverend Spike prayed.
“I don’t need it,” I said.
“But there are many who do,” Reverend Spike prayed.
“God is good,” I said.
“God is good,” Reverend Spike prayed.
“God is great,” I said.
“God is great,” Reverend Spike prayed.
“My trip to heaven I cannot wait,” I said.
“My trip to heaven I cannot wait,” Reverend Spike prayed.
Leaning over my upper bunk I dropped my bed sheets down around his neck and pulled tight for five minutes.
I struggled to position his body against the bars and hoist him so it looked like suicide. Reverend Spike weighed all of 310 pounds and I had to hoist him at least 6 feet 7 and ¼ inches off the ground. For a guy who never lifted anything other than a 12 ounces at a time that was near to impossible. As I lifted this prayer was uttered;
“I was lost and now I’m found. Lord, help me lift 310 pounds.”
Eventually he was staged in place to look like a suicide and strangely wearing an angelic smile, wings not yet awarded.
Yes indeed, Reverend Spike preached a powerful sermon last night, “If ye have faith the size of a mustard seed ye can move a mountain.”
- First Wednesday of 2014 and I Totally Welcome it! | I am Shira
- I Am | A Teacher’s Blog from Land’s End
- The healer | 365 days of defiance
- A Stroke Of Religion At Midnight | The Jittery Goat
- Enchanted | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Do you Believe in Magic? | The Nameless One
- Telesthesia | Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | likereadingontrains
- MAGIC: The U.S. Suddenly Cares About Educating Its Youngest Citizens; Wednesday, January 1, 2014 | LisaRosier.com
- Magic | Randomlyabstract’s Blog
- Enchantment | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Where has the magic gone? | Kate Murray
- Dark Angel and the Light | alienorajt
- Something New? | The Vibrant Channeled Creator
- Daily Prompt: Do You Believe in Magic? | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The Magical Being | Flowers and Breezes
- Do you believe in magic? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Khana’s Web
- Angel Wings T-shirt Mod | Full Fat Life
- Do you believe in magic? | Motherhood and Beyond
- New Year Celebrations! | Through the Peacock’s Eyes
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | cdvisions inspirations
- Josie and a Touch of Magic (Short Fiction) | meanderedwanderings
- Challenge Accepted [Daily Prompt: Enchantment] | Adventures of The SIA Brat
- You enchant me. | Bullet holes in the wall
- Bewitched | Life is great
- Enchanted. | The scribbles in the margin
- inner magic | waitloss
- Etiquette | Short notions
- S. Thomas Summers | Janurary 1, 2014 – Enchantment
- What’s Your Story? | An Upturned Soul
- My Dream ! | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | Basically Beyond Basic
- I wish I didn’t cry | not4faintheartsblog
- A Magical DP | Scorched Ice
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | niennie
- He-Man I have the Power! 2 Manipulate! | Cornelison
- Rasengan! | Retrofocus
- Magic Blows Your Mind For You | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Daily Prompt: Do You Believe in Magic? « Mama Bear Musings
- New Year Luck, Black Eyed Peas and Magic | Vampire Maman
- If I Were a Mystical Being …
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | Diary of Dennis
- The magic of a new year | Poetry Novice
- Wicked Witchcraft | This Signal Here
- Daily Prompt: Do you believe in magic? | Occasional Stuff
- Do you believe in Magic? | aflurryofinspiration
- Daily Prompt: The Curse of Magic | One Starving Activist
- Do you Believe in Magic? Daily Post | Nicole Sloan’s Books
- Daily Prompt: Enchantment | Dockfam Adventures
- Looking Ahead | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Enchantment | Rebecca Barray
- The Magic Was in the Music….(WP daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Do you Believe in Magic? | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Do you Believe in Magic? | Good Stories From Everywhere
- I Looked for a Quote About Magic, and Was Instructed to Remove My Own Liver | flurrious
- It’s a kinda magic | Fictionalism
- THE MAGIC | Diary of a mind
- Daily Prompt: The Last Blessing | Morrighan’s Muse
- A kind of magic: I am the mouse | I like country when it rocks
- Pure Magic, so it is. | Ideolectable
- Epicurious 2014 | Random Musings Of A Hotel Goddess
- 2014 is here, can you feel the magic? | litebeing chronicles
- Magic | lostguy35
- Daily Prompt: Do You Believe in Magic? | The Uncustomary Housewife