Tell us about a time you’d been trying to solve a knotty problem — maybe it was an interpersonal problem, a life problem, a big ol’ problem — and you had a moment of clarity when the solution appeared to you, as though you were struck by lightening.
Writer’s block can be a problem for some. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.
Some will walk away and do something completely unrelated to what they are writing. Others my have mental exercises that put them back on the track. Some may pick up something to read hoping that will trigger an idea. Some try whisky.
They all work and some never work. Each writer must find their own way.
For a fiction writer it is often getting from point A to point B. Sometimes an unusual twist is written in the story. It was so intriguing it could not be left out, but it takes you down a dead-end street. If it takes you someplace you can’t get out, leave it out. But don’t discard the twist. Pull it out some other time. Don’t waste it. Write another story around that discarded twist.
I liken writer’s block to painting yourself into a corner.
When that happens to me, I write my frustration into the character or event placed in the corner. That can be the needed conflict or dilemma that adds a layer to the story not envisioned.
If you write a character into a dead-end simply say:
“Toby was out of ideas and had nowhere to turn. (This is the point in the story where writer’s block occurs. So you wait for that spark of creative genius or bolt of lightning. So create one.) A bolt of lightning struck him dead. Toby’s problems were now over.”
Come on now, that’s better than Toby dieing of old age. If that’s not what you wanted at least it started you thinking. Are you willing to accept anything short of that?
Writing anything will open possibilities to new things. It keeps you moving forward.
Writing is as much a grand adventure as reading. Often a story will start out one way and end another.
The key to writer’s block, at least for me, keep writing.
If you paint yourself in a corner. Simply turn around, paint a window, and what is seen beyond. Maybe by the time you’re done the floor will be dry. Or you could just curl up in the corner and die.
Bloggers With Clarity
- Moment of Clarity Haiku; Friday, December 27, 2013 | LisaRosier.com
- Moment of Clarity | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity | Awl and Scribe
- The Best Book I’ve Ever Read | Sued51’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity – Awestruck by the Christmas Lights | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity | confusingdaze
- The Ghost of Christmas future | overdoneit
- Strengthen your mindset and you build self-confidence | Feel & Rebuild Your Self Confidence
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Awestruck
- daily prompt: moment of clarity | aimans…..
- Daily Prompt: Awestruck | Better Than Reality
- Overcoming Writer’s Block; Waiting For The Bolt Of Lightning | The Jittery Goat
- Clarity | Dancing with the Wise Women
- Free Fall | Finale to an Entrance
- Eureka! I Got It! | meanderedwanderings
- Moment of Clarity | Nicole Sloan’s Books
- Knotty problems | A mom’s blog
- Moment of Clarity: In Examination Time | life at random outlook
- What to Eat? | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Idea ‘Ting!’ | Retrofocus
- Moment of Despair to Clarity | Hope* the happy hugger
- Clarity | Bullet holes in the wall
- While Taking A Photograph -A Moment Of Clarity | Shadows Of The Divine
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt Challenge – “Awestruck” | soletusknow
- SAVING MYSELF | hastywords
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity, or Not? | Buzzy Beez Giftz
- Daily Prompt: Like Sand Through the Hourglass | One Starving Activist
- Wandering Graduate | Moment of Clarity
- A Memory from the Kitchen Years | As I please
- Being Struck By Lightning Helped Lighten Their Loads
- The ONE ! | Dreams to Reality !
- A moment of clarity in the pursuit of happyness | The Nameless One
- Going to College is a Choice | Saskia Bünte + UnCollege = Gap Year
- Sleeping for Clarity – Lipstick and Lithium – Bipolar/Beauty Blog
- “Eureka”! I’m Addicted And Need HELP! | Just A Recovery Author Learning To Be A Better Writer
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity | Making Life an Art
- Moment of Clarity | Geek Ergo Sum
- Piloting the Space Shuttle: A Moment of Clarity http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/prompt-clarity/ | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Piloting the Space Shuttle: A Moment of Clarity | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Daily Prompt: Moment of Clarity: Home is Where… | New Orleans New Girl
- Moment of clarity… coming soon to a theater/life near you. | The Birds Inside My Head…
- The Script | johnny ojanpera
- THINKING CLEARLY? THINK AGAIN | Emotional Fitness
- Striking Clarity | Muddy River Muse