You are the first astronaut to arrive on a new, uncharted planet. Write the note that you leave to those who come after you.
Just to play along. “Ha ha, you ain’t the first.”
I’ve decided my own prompt for the day; Write about the last panhandler you saw.
Stony Shows The Way
He looked familiar. There are things forty years can’t erase. Not even a grizzled half shaven face and shabby cloths. It was Stony – Stony Callaway. It was just the way he stood, as if he were standing away from a surprise. What was he doing on a street corner panhandling?
It was years ago. It was a summer of exploration and a tumble into manhood for both of us.
We worked together, played together, and made plans. We talked about art, music, war, peace, love, the past, the present, and the future. He was going to be a lawyer and I talked about being an airline pilot.
We both wanted to desperately see and explore everything life and the world had to offer.
Strange, I thought. Neither of us did what we set out to do. Stony ended up a panhandler and I ended up selling real estate.
I turned the car around. My heart was full of charity, generosity, sympathy, and love for Stony. For that one summer we were closer than brothers and like a brother who falls on hard times I’ll be there to lift him up, help him along the way. “He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother.”
I parked my car in the closest parking space and made my way to him.
“Stony,” I called out. “Stony Callaway!”
He turned and smiled. That was Stony’s smile.
“Stony,” I said and embraced him. “It’s good to see you, old friend.”
“Josh Yates, you old son of a gun,” Stony smiled broadly. “You are looking good. How long has it been?”
“I think forty years,” I said.
“What are you doing?” Stony said. “You look successful. Well I never became an airline pilot and never traveled the world like I said, but years ago I got into real estate. It keeps me busy.” My smile turned to seriousness and concern. “What about you, Stony. What can I do to help.”
“Man,” Stony said. “You don’t have to do nothing. I got my law degree and I’ve been on the move ever since. I’ve been around the world four or five times. I’ve lived on the beaches of Western Africa, the deserts of Australia, the lagoons of South Sea Islands, the Andes, I spent a year in Siberia, a summer in Tuscany, a summer in the South of France, I’ve herded sheep on the Isle of Lewis, drilled wells in Canada, fished off the shores of Norway, and that hasn’t even scratched the surface. Man, I’ve done it all.”
“Is there anything I can do?” I said.
“Yeah,” Stony said. “You can stick a twenty in my cup or go with me for the winter in Punta Delgada.”
“Where is that?” I said.
“You can go home and look it up or come with me,” Stony said. “Another hundred dollars and your fair city loses its best traveled vagrant forever. I’ll have enough for a ticket.”
“How ’bout if I give you the money you need and drive you to the airport myself,” I said.
“No, Josh,” Stony said. “You drop by the house, pack your things, and come with me.”
“I can’t do that,” I said. “I’d loose everything.”
“Josh, my friend,” Stony said. “When you die you lost everything. If you’re dead and had nothing, but could come back to life would you demand everything be returned to you?”
“No,” I said. “I’d just be grateful to be alive again.”
“Do you get it now?” Stony said. “If it’s really yours it will be there when you return.”
“I’m packing,” I said.
(Stories like these leave the reader’s imagination free to write other episodes. Enjoy.)
Bloggers Who Have Boldly Gone Where No One Has Gone
- Some work of no… | overdoneit
- Bus stop etiquette poll findings | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | A Mixed Bag
- I Was Here | Geek Ergo Sum
- S. Thomas Summers | Back to Business
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Basically Beyond Basic
- More Then Gamers
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Good Stories From Everywhere
- Stony Shows The Way (My own Daily Prompt) | The Jittery Goat
- carte blanche | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Dear Human « LoudThoughtsVoicedOut
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | J.Rho Photography
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Alien’s note! | reyoflight
- A New Planet In the Sky | Flowers and Breezes
- Five Things I Did To Make Myself a Merry Christmas
- The Legacy of Zedd (Short Fiction) | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here – A NEW EDEN | SERENDIPITY
- Welcome | Life is great
- I was here | VernetteOutLoud
- daily prompt:i was there | aimans…..
- Daily Prompts: I was here | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- I Was Here | Danny James
- The Natives Are Friendly | The Ambitious Drifter
- Sincerely Yours, Neko. | Nekoruchii: Life of a Commoner
- Have your written your good-bye letter? | Emotional Fitness
- I was here… | Odds & Ends
- WordPress Daily Post~ I Was Here | aliceandmolly
- love looks like this – no | y
- pour | yi-ching lin photography
- Wish I was there… | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Irregular Ventilator
- Daily Prompt: Don’t Land! | One Starving Activist
- To the Future Kings and Queens….. | Cornelison
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | amateurxpress
- I Was Here | humblegenealogy
- Found & Lost | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt: I Was Here | Of Glass & Paper
- So What? (Daily Prompt: “I Was Here”) | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Have your written your good-bye letter? | Parents Are People Too
- When the air fogged up | Le Drake Noir
- Mindful Practice | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Where you are calling from | tjbarkerseattle