You get to enjoy the best day ever — describe in detail what that means to you. Where are you? What will you do? What’s the weather like? What will you eat? Who will you see?
Today is a pretty good day.
I was out of bed at 5:10 AM. I had a toasted raisin bagel with cream cheese and coffee black.
I don’t observe Christmas, but nonetheless it is a reflective day. The rhythm of life seems to slow just enough to pause and take a breath.
I started writing a re-cap of the Boise State/Oregon game and quickly checked my email for the Daily Prompt.
As I’m writing this I’m thinking about a letter a friend sent to me a couple of days ago. He describes loneliness in nearly poetic terms. He is a good writer.
We spent many hours together in the past. He is a carpenter and has a cozy little workshop. I remember going by there on cold winter days. His shop was filled with the odor of the fire from his wood burning stove. There was always present the comfortable smell of freshly cut or routed wood or newly varnished trim. We’d sit, chat, and sip coffee.
The letter he wrote was in part his memory of another carpenter who he admired and missed because he died. He reminisced about his friend’s love of wood and his unconventional style of sanding it to a perfect finish.
I was struck by the tone of the letter. My friend always told me it was unhealthy to live in the past and thus he chose not to do so, yet that’s what he was doing. I suppose living in the past is like playing in the snow; it’s fun, invigorating, and healthy, but if indulged for too long you could catch a cold, contract frostbite, or freeze to death.
In that letter he referenced three other friends of mine, all carpenters. There is something about carpenters. They have a way of expressing themselves and viewing life from the standpoint of measuring, cutting, fitting and at last nailing in place. They are patient and precise. And know how to work around mistakes.
I have a couple of friends who aren’t carpenters, but they could be. There is a mysterious thread about them that binds them to my carpenter friends.
My perfect day would be to sit down in my friend’s workshop and have all my friends there. I’d listen for that thread. I think that thread is the wisdom of carpenters. Even my friends who are not carpenters have it. It is their approach to life and problems.
I want my son there. We will sit and listen. A good day of listening is the best of all days.
It was not by accident Jesus was born into a family of a carpenter.
Many are thinking about Jesus today as a baby. Little attention given to his way of explaining and teaching. His simplistic approach to life. Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no. Do to others as you would like them to do to you. Settle matters quickly. The one who forgives little loves little, but one who loves much forgives much. Love your neighbor the same you do yourself. Don’t be quick to judge others.
These are but a few of the building materials for a good and happy life. Every carpenter knows a good structure has to have good material.
Other Bloggers Having a Good Day
- A day so perfect | overdoneit
- Daily Prompt: The Best Day Ever | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- The Best Day Ever: Merry Christmas Everyone | Khana’s Web
- The Best Day Ever – A Poetic Take | writingequalspassion
- A Day With Carpenters | The Jittery Goat
- The best day ever | Veni, vici, vidi
- Daily Prompt: The Best Day Ever | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Split into Two | maunderingsofaninja
- On my birthday I dived from a high place | 365 days of defiance
- Daily Prompt: The Greatest of All Time | One Starving Activist
- December You | Things That Matter
- A Tale of Two Cadburys / Daily Prompt: Best Day Ever | Communication For Development
- The Lurker’s List | Wave with a Friend
- Daily Post – Indulgent | johnny ojanpera
- Fill in the Blank: What an Awe____ Day! | My Author-itis
- Our Family Christmas House Putz
- Daily Prompt: The Best Day Ever | Basically Beyond Basic
- The Day I Came Alive, Simply The Best Day Ever | The Bottom of a Bottle
- The Gift of His Presence – Prayers and Promises
- A Mystic Indulgence | Shadows Of The Divine
- Daily Prompt: The best day ever | metalheadfairy
- Santa Paws Came! Santa Paws Came! | Haiku By Ku
- The Best Day Ever! | emilykarn
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Best Day Ever
- A Jewish Christmas Wish for All | Emotional Fitness
- Best day ever | Kate Murray
- Good Wishes | Flowers and Breezes
- Gilded Warrior
- I found The Lord! | Eight Feet Tall
- Merry Christmas to One and All | meanderedwanderings
- Christmas Sunrise | On the Streets of San Francisco