Tell us about the time when you performed a secret random act of kindness — where the recipient of your kindness never found out about your good deed. How did the deed go down?
Hmm, if I write about a secret act of kindness it becomes no longer a secret. Thus, it loses it’s secret charm, intent, and purity. It becomes something other than what it was meant to be.
Not gonna tell ya.
This time of year secret Santas are often reported; someone leaves a large tip for a waitress, a large sum of money is left in a Salvation Army kettle, or an anonymous person pays for a strangers lay-away items.
This generosity usually occurs around the Christmas Holiday season. Indeed the motive for such giving is likely pure and well-meaning. It warms the heart and renews, in many, the hope of human generosity and compassion.
The fact remains these are so infrequent and random they make news. If there was a true spirit of giving these things would abound to the point that it would be the analogous to ’dog bites man.’
A person who is generous in secret is secure in himself. He doesn’t need accolades or any sort of recognition. He did good and that’s enough for him and for those receiving the kind act.
The Bible encourages generosity and gifts made in secret. There are practical reasons beyond my understanding. If a gift is given to a person in private it spares them a measure of indignity. Everyone has a measure of pride. To make a spectacle of giving to one in need could have a shaming effect on them. How much better it is when a gift is given to someone in private. How much sweeter the satisfaction? Attention is not focused on the giver and the receiver is spared possible embarrassment. Neither becomes exploited.
Note what is recorded at Matthew 6:1-4; “Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them; otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. 2 So when you make gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3 But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.”
There is an honesty and purity about secret giving; motives cannot be challenged by others or most importantly ourselves. “There is more happiness in giving than receiving,” so says the Bible at Acts 20:35. And how much more so when in secret.
- daily prompt: random act of kindness | aimans…..
- Daily Prompt: Secrets | The Daily Post | L5GN
- Random Act of Kindness | Melissa Holden
- Am I Kind? | The Number FiftyTwo
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness | Under the Monkey Tree
- Drive Thru Difference | Journey to Wholeness
- Why It’s Good To Give In Secret | The Jittery Goat
- Secretly paying it forward. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness | Nicole Sloan’s Books
- A secret kindness | Sue’s Trifles
- Trying to be God | crookedeyebrows
- I’m so nice | not4faintheartsblog
- Shine | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness « cognitive reflection
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness « Mama Bear Musings
- Secret Santa | charlottesville winter
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- A little mind-twister on random kindnesses | Rob’s Surf Report
- Random Acts of Kindness | News by Carolyn Perez
- Random Acts of Kindness: The Travel Edition | Travel. Garden. Eat.
- Kindness Is Not Always Random
- The Lurker’s List | Secret Kindness
- Anger Thermometer | Emotional Fitness
- I Have No Secrets: Daily Prompt | Just Visiting This Planet
- A hug | Life is great
- Paying it Forward | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- Daily Prompt: Spread a Little love | One Starving Activist
- Random Acts of Insanity | An Upturned Soul
- Random Kindness | Flowers and Breezes
- Repeated Kindness | A mom’s blog
- SECRET… | The Abuse Expose’ with Secret Angel
- HOPE HAS A GOOD MEMORY, GRATITUDE A BAD ONE | SERENDIPITY
- Blind faith | Tell Tale Therapy
- Kindness Should be Random | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- Random Act Of Kindness, A Little Can Go A Long Way | Kansa Muse
- Random Act of Kindness | The Nameless One
- Secret | A by no Means Representative Collection of Tales of our People and the World
- Kitchen Drawers and Garbage Bins: Lessons in Patience, Kindness and Humility | meanderedwanderings
- Kitchen Drawers and Garbage Bins: Lessons in Humility, Kindness and Patience | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Random Act of Kindness | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- The Unseen Soldier ……(wp prompt) | Daily Observations