You have been named supreme ruler of the universe. Your first order of business is creating and instituting a holiday or festival in your honor. What day of the year is your holiday? What special events will take place? Describe YOU DAY in as great a detail as you can muster: the special foods we’ll consume, the decorations we’ll use…everything.
Creating a challenge for the Daily Prompt is tough. The reason why I have accepted the challenge is because I want to test my ability to write something on anything and it’s hard for me to come up with stuff.
I consider the challenge and try to match it as closely as possible. I’m not always right on the mark, but as one “Prompter” said many months ago, the point is to post each day with something whatever the Prompt inspires in you.
I read some of the prompts and some attack the challenge with great enthusiasm. Personally I have dug deep into my self to pull out something that might be meaningful, entertaining, amusing, witty, instructional, and well-crafted.
As of late my enthusiasm has waned. The challenges seem sophomoric. They are not sparks that ignite the imagination, but huge douses of water that seem to stifle it. They seem self-ingratiating focusing on grandiosity.
I’m truly grateful for the Daily Prompt. It has introduced me to some fine bloggers and imaginative writers. I feel that they struggle also with the challenges of late, not in an intellectual sense, but embarrassed to participate because of the immature nature and approach.
Nevertheless, I will offer something for today’s prompt.
No human is worthy of a holiday. It makes them arrogant, god-like, worshipful, and bores.
Prompts like this make people write as if the world revolves around them. Good writers write about the world that revolves around them as if they are merely observers. The essence of good writing is to write in such a way the reader is caught-up in the subject and not the writer.
Writers can be arrogant, but they can’t write arrogantly.
- The Lurker’s List | Our Day
- The Sweet and Treacherous New King | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Happy Me Day | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Dates in December | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us | Awl and Scribe
- There Is A Creepy Arrogance About The Daily Prompts | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us « Mama Bear Musings
- Festivus | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Festive? | Faith, Life and Compassion
- I Proclaim This Day…. | Finale to an Entrance
- What a Day that Would Be! | meanderedwanderings
- Holidaze… | cacramer01’s Blog
- Festival Of Flowers | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Happy Happy Holidays! Wooohooowooo! | Haiku By Ku
- Feast From Another Perspective | annezheng
- A Call For Prayer | Kansa Muse
- Your Birthday | sixty, single and surviving
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us | kimmiecode 🙂
- The International Day of Sue Kerr – We Need a Holiday
- Festivus, the Festival of the People | I Write Therefore I Am
- Just a fantasy… | Hope* the happy hugger
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Festive (Jesus)
- My First Post of Many–Daily Prompt: FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US | J. Oliver The Writer
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us | Basically Beyond Basic
- Too selfish | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Festivus for the Rest of Us | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Festivus for the Rest of Us | The Nameless One
- 52 weeks a year, every year from now on | The Number FiftyTwo
- Intergalactic Hotspur Day? Meh. No Thanks | Edward Hotspur
- Festive Eid | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: It’s All About Me | One Starving Activist
- chelepalooza celebration | peacefulblessedstar
- Bathed in Light | vic briggs
- My Favorite Things | Active Army Wife
- Someone knows how to be | The Land Slide Photography
- Festivus for the Rest of Us | Geek Ergo Sum
- Happy Christina Day: Bring your own toy 😉 | Passionate Dreaming
- The Longest Beach Day | Timey-Wimey Adventures
- Meeting the Santa – Festivities (Photography) | Global Annal