This was posted just a couple of weeks ago for another Daily Prompt, but it fit so well with the current one I decided to re-post it.
It was one of life’s irritants. A train was sitting just beyond the crossing, the lights flashing, the bells ringing and the gates were down. Immediately I saw why; the crossing was a two-track crossing and another train sped along on the other set of tracks.
On the other side of the tracks was a man in a pickup truck with his son standing in the seat next to him who appeared to be about three. The man became impatient and started to maneuver around the gates.
From his vantage point all he saw was the train sitting just off the crossing. That train shielded his vision from the oncoming train on the other set of tracks.
I motioned with my hands.
He ignored me.
I jumped from my car and ran toward the tracks waving and yelling.
He stopped, gave me the finger, and shouted obscenities. My distraction and the time that it took him to do that slowed him enough that the oncoming train sped into the crossing before he was able to enter the crossing.
One can only imagine what would have occurred if he was in the crossing at the same time as the train.
A couple of minutes passed during which time I thanked God for allowing me to be there at the right time and I asked Him to forgive the man for taking His name in vain.
The train passed, the gates lifted, the lights stopped blinking, and the bell stopped ringing. There was a strange and eerie silence as if the moment needed reverence.
On the other side of the tracks was the man in the truck. I got a good look at him; late 20’s, mullet, and camouflage shirt. The type of guy who might pull a gun on you for cutting him off in traffic.
He wasn’t moving.
I pulled even with his window.
“You okay?” I said.
He looked at his son who was oblivious to what could have occurred. He turned to me with a quivering chin and tears streaming down his cheek. “He’s okay, but I’m not sure about me. Ya did good. Thanks a lot, man.”
“Hug him tight tonight,” I said and drove on.
- The Train On The Tracks | The Jittery Goat
- Minor irritations | Chittle Chattle
- Daring Do | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | Diary of Dennis
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | kimmiecode 🙂
- El Hombre Viril: The Abridged Epic of Julio and the Sun God | Finale to an Entrance
- Saving an abused child | alienorajt
- An 8 month old called Lili | The Number FiftyTwo
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | Basically Beyond Basic
- bold | yi-ching lin photography
- Saved the Giddy Goat | Underneath her little mind
- Daring Do At Your Rescue | Kansa Muse
- When I Was Supermom | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- …is beautiful | peacefulblessedstar
- A Failed Rescue | Flowers and Breezes
- Daring Do | nanopod: hybrid studio
- Your Journey Is Your Own | The Nameless One
- Rescued | Life is great
- My Rescue! | Haiku By Ku
- DAILY PROMPT: PUTTING OUT THE FIRE | SERENDIPITY
- Simon Rescued Himself
- Bold | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- ted corbitt and i | fragments of life
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Top O’ The World Ma (Daily Prompt: Daring Do – Bold) | PCH Traveler
- I think the stars are a little out of alignment | Rob’s Surf Report
- BOLD | Active Army Wife
- DP Challenge: In the End…He is Still an Animal « Morning Pages
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | My Atheist Blog
- When I Found Her, She Was Not There…(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- The Pistol | johnny ojanpera
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | soulfoodwords
- Bold (how I saved my soul) | Stories from aside
- Moving On From the Negative: Daily Prompts | Scorched Ice
- Daily Prompt: Heroine | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt Challenge: I Dared To Help A Friend In Recovery Crisis | *Recovery Ramblins Blog Of ~ Author Catherine Lyon*
- Up, Up and Away! | meanderedwanderings
- My Role of Rescuer – To My Drama-Addicted Family
- derring-done | sarahscapes
- Zakc Head
- TO SAVE THE WORLD | hastywords
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do: Hello? | UP! With Jesus
- Daily Prompt: Daring Do | Lost Bulldog! 😦 | House of Farts
- The Pass – a short story. | Kate Murray