Tell us about the one luxury item you wish you could afford, in as much detail as you can. Paint a picture for us.
I’ve never wanted a luxury item. Sure I’ve thought about how nice it might be to have a yacht or perhaps live in a mansion, but it was always with a certain smile on my face as if saying to myself, “Poor lad, you know that will never happen.”
I have never been attracted to or by luxury. If I buy something it is always the cheapest. My wife has to buy coats for me because if left to me I’d never replace my old worn-out ones.
I don’t know why, I’m that way. I just am.
Several years ago I revealed a secret passion to a friend.
“I’ve always wanted an MG Midget,” I said.
“I’ll sell you one for $50,” he said.
“I can’t,” I said. “I can’t even justify $50 for one.”
“Okay,” he said. “It’s free.”
“What!” I said.
“It’s in my barn,” he said. “You’d be doing me a favor by just taking it off my hands.”
My wife and I talked for a few minutes and she thought it would be a nice project for me to restore it.
I had the MG Midget towed home.
For the next few weeks I purchased all sorts of used tools to help in the restoration. I asked a friend who restored MGs to take a look at my MG.
“How much time are you willing to spend on this?” he asked.
“I’d like to have it done before I retire in two years,” I said.
“It will effect your marriage,” he said. “You’ll spend more time working on the car than you will with your wife.”
“Maybe that’s why she suggested the project,” I chuckled.
“How much are you willing to spend?” he said.
(Mind you, I’ve never done this type of thing before.”
“Oh, four maybe five thousand dollars,” I said.
My friend started laughing. “You’ll sink $15,000 in this before it’s even drivable.”
Well that was a sharp burst of reality.
My wife always said the only way I’d be behind the wheel and going down the road is if it was being pulled by a tow truck.
Two years later I sold it to my friend so he could use it for parts which is what I think he wanted all along.
That was the only thing I ever wanted to indulge myself with.
Bloggers in want:
- ermahgerhd | Afford a Vacation
- Covet Thy Love | The Magic Black Book
- Covet | Insanitree
- Daily Prompt: NOT Keeping up with the Jones’ but the birds & fishes | littlegirlstory
- Tall Summer Dreams | Blue Loft
- Fairy Dust | alienorajt
- Thy Shall Not Covert | Dear Yolandi
- Covet Artistically | Abstract Organized Chaos
- A Horse, Of Course | A Sign Of Life
- To be loved-Biggest luxury | મન ની વાત
- I have what I need, and that’s fine by me really. Want is too expensive anyway… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Under the Monkey Tree
- Covet | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- All I Ever Wanted Was An MG Midget | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ « cognitive reflection
- Covet to Travel around the world | A Crazy Chef
- My Other Blog | Daily Prompt: Keeping Up With The Jones’
- Daily Prompt: Giving Thanks For What I Have | My Daily Prompt Blog
- the Tenth reason | Charron’s Chatter
- Are you kidding me? | Eyes to Heart
- DP: Coveting Luxury Items? | 3 Nish on a Journey
- Daily Prompt; Dear Santa; I would love an X-box | sixty, single and surviving
- Turkey! | Haiku By Ku
- 228. That One Thing | Barely Right of Center
- KILL THE ECONOMY | Emotional Fitness
- Daily Prompt: All I Want For Christmas | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: | Kawanee’s Korner
- Real Luxury | crookedeyebrows
- How I am starting to deeply resent Lego and not just because of the bleeding feet | vazdanešto
- Daily Prompt: Keeping Up with the Jones’s..”Lavish” | Bowl of Rice
- S. Thomas Summers | Covet, Want, Take (Some Time)
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ – Daily Prompt | Write on J.B.
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- DAILY PROMPT: KEEPING UP WITH MYSELF | SERENDIPITY
- Time | Life is great
- The Enticement of Luxury | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Basically Beyond Basic
- Wish List | Flowers and Breezes
- Keeping up | The Nameless One
- Keeping up with the Jones’ | 61 Musings
- Who Needs the Jones’ (or An Island Unto Myself) | Finale to an Entrance
- Rob’s Surf Report
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Finding Life
- A Honeymoon Redo | Will Write For Sanity
- So It Is Another Black Friday… | Kansa Muse
- How to conquer a craving – give in! | Words ‘n Pics
- The Price of Luxury | vic briggs
- Only 4 wheels !! | Dreams to Reality !
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ | My Conscious Self
- Struck it rich! | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Luxurious pie | JosieJolene
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ | RelativeSIMPLE
- Daily Prompt: A Horse | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Luxury pie | JosieJolene
- My very own microscope at home | Formidabulous
- A step by step, | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Joneses | SIM | ANTICS
- Beautiful Simplicity | Life’s Conversations
- Greener Grass | Mountains or Molehills