Do you play in your daily life? What says “playtime” to you?
The computer and Internet can be a wonderful thing. It can take you to places you will likely never go. And, I would be remiss if not at least mentioning there are places one should never go.
As a kid I kept myself entertained for hours looking at maps or digging out a volume of my World Book Encyclopedias and going some place. In my imaginary world there was not one spot in the earth not visited.
I was an athletic kid, but spent a lot of time secluded in my room pouring over maps and reading about other countries and regions. That was play time for me.
Today my athletic prowess is somewhat limited, but what brings pleasure is to now go to Google Maps, pick a random location, and if possible explore by means of street view.
My imagination begins to play and wonder about the things I see.
Here’s a playtime story about a place visited by Google Street View.
I followed my brothers advice and bought a Volkswagen Bug for my trip to visit him in Mexico. “If you break down, they know how to get you back on the road without waiting for parts. Everybody knows how to work on V-dubs down her,” Kyle told me.
I was driving someplace in the middle of the Yucatán and famished. The last town I drove through did not have anyplace that looked like it served healthy or sanitary food. Now I was desperate. I was willing to take what ever came my way.
The road was heavily wooded with tropical trees and thick underbrush covered the side of the road. Suddenly a clearing appeared ahead of me. What looked like a food stand sat close to the road. I pulled up close to it. A dirty canvas draped the front.
A man appeared from a small house to the rear.
“When do you open?” I said in Spanish.
“Anytime,” the man said in Spanish.
Certain it was a taco of burrito stand I said. “I’ll take two.”
The man flopped the canvas over the roof. “Choose which two you want.”
Behind the canvass was a glass window and behind the window was a display of six caskets.
“I thought I could buy food here,” I said.
“You eat the food, you need the coffin,” the man smiled. Then he winked, “Two kilometers, good food.”
I drove away. “Incredible,” I said to myself. “A roadside coffin stand. Will it work in the States?”
- Writing is my play | Now Have At It!
- Bzebza’s family | Markovich Arts
- 24/11 Daily Prompt: Playtime | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt : Playtime | bambangpriantono
- ermahgerhd | Children’s Ward
- Playtime | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Under the Monkey Tree
- Spending time by the beach in St Ives, Cornwall | Laura’s Little Things
- Applaud God | Prayers and Promises
- Horse Play | Eyes to Heart
- The World Is My Playground | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | MKG- Memories-Keepsakes-Gifts
- Playtime | Kate Murray
- Playtime: | Khana’s Web
- Playtime: Solstice | Khana’s Web
- It’s official: I am reading America. | Butterfly Mind
- Daily Prompt : playtime | Mon beau manoir
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Kawanee’s Korner
- DAILY PROMPT: PLAYTIME! | SERENDIPITY
- Hopeless Chest | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | life n me!
- The Lurker’s List | When Times Get Rough, We Gotta Play Ball
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- “Playtime” | Relax
- Play and Bake… | A Crazy Chef
- Playing it out ! | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | crookedeyebrows
- Manifesting Nuggets: Games Dreamers Play | All the Snooze That’s Fit to Print
- truth is polished in | y
- Playtime | gorgeous little thieves
- What Part of Play Don’t You Understand? | Just Visiting This Planet
- Play Time | Flowers and Breezes
- My Playtime | A mom’s blog
- Played | vic briggs
- Twists | Historiefortelling
- Puppy Playtime… | Haiku By Ku
- Playing in Words ‘n Pics | Words ‘n Pics
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | theanonymousqueen
- Playtime | Lost in Translation
- Time To Play! | Mountains or Molehills
- It’s Game Day | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt~Playtime | joannebest
- Daily Prompt: playtime | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Play Hard | Retrofocus
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Around and About The Pacific Northwest
- TV Contests and Christmas | Life is great
- Misty memories of playtime | Rob’s Surf Report
- Bushveld Wedding under the Marula Tree… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | A String of Pearls
- S. Thomas Summers | Childhood Soon Dies
- Work and Play | An almanac for concerned citizens and boysenberry jam fans
- DAILY POST: PLAY « MY WALL
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | ☥ Venom’s Blog ☥
- Daily Prompt : Playtime | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Saturday Snapshot | Tommia’s Tablet
- The Makeup of Madness – Lipstick and Lithium – Beauty Blog
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Basically Beyond Basic
- Play in My World | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | To My Wonderland
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | S K I P
- Playing with fabric | the scroobious pip
- Sports and me | Blogging Vogging…
- What’s In Your Toolbox? | Nerdy Woman
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | SIM | ANTICS
- Haiku – Playtime | Dhikrcave
- Daily Prompt: Playtime, Or: Work Hard, Play Hard! | polymathically
- Playtime | it is habit forming
- Play time at the playhouse | JED’s Playhouse
- A Lesson In Storytelling | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily post: There’s nothing playful about sport | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Playtime (Daily Post) | thisblogisepic
- Wonder of Wonders | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Play on, Playah | 6 of One…
- Daily Prompt: Play | UP! With Jesus
- Daily Prompt: Playtime in Detroit | Mac’s Blog
- Playtime : Daily Prompt | Speaking Through Curls
- Playtime » Kryson’s Kreations
- The Art of Nob Hill | Adventures in the Underground
- Getting More From Less (Productivity) | victor’s mind
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | sukies original
- Playtime… | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- The Inner child in me | Shetall says
- Daily Prompt: Play Time | Memory Bank of the Nocturnal