Share the story of a time you felt unsafe.
My first car was a ‘55 Plymouth Savoy. I purchased it for $85. I thought it was a beauty. It was a piece of junk and that’s being polite.
“It’s got good rubber,” the car dealer said. Lesson number one, don’t believe a used car dealer with a cigar and plaid sports jacket whose name Johnny Dollars.
The first weekend in my possession I loaded it with friends and went to the drive-in. While taking everybody home someone wanted me to see how fast it would go. I floored it. At about 80 miles per hour the right front tire blew-out. The car veered right and into a woods. To this day I don’t know how the trees were avoided and I managed to maneuver the car out of the woods.
Until that point I thought my car was a tank. Suddenly it became a death chamber.
Checking the trunk for a spare we discovered it was flat.
I called my Mom and she delivered my friends to their homes. The next morning I got the spare repaired and put it on. The car sat for a week and the next Saturday I drove about two miles from home and had another flat.
Dad took me to a tire dealer and bought four new tires for the car.
I never forget the utter fear and helplessness of that night, trying to dodge trees that seemed to pop up from nowhere. What is even more frightening is the lives of a car load teenagers were tightly squeezed into a two ton metal coffin controlled by a zit-faced punk who didn’t have a clue how unsafe he really was.
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | Under the Monkey Tree
- Getting Back Up | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Unsafe At Any Speed | The Jittery Goat
- Dailypost/safety | annetteharris42
- A tale of two cities on 9/11 | Beth Byrnes
- Cat Pics : Safety First | Icezine
- Castle of Fear | Prayers and Promises
- Never Confuse An RV With An ATV | Spirit Lights The Way
- At the deep end | vicariously in love with you
- A Confession From the Back Seat of a Van | sayanything
- Sweet home, The Forest | brorsadu
- Unsafe | Bullet holes in the wall
- The Mess of Messina | ok.megan.
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | Awl and Scribe
- Safety? What’s that? | alienorajt
- Lion’s Den | JC Bride ~
- The Shatter | thinkerscap
- Face your fear – feel safe | crookedeyebrows
- Safe arms | Historiefortelling
- Daily Prompt; Unsafe and scared witless | sixty, single and surviving
- Should I stay or should I go? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Scarred | vic briggs
- Mother Nature’s no lady | LynnSlyWrites
- Lived To Tell About It | Just Visiting This Planet
- Without Without – Daily Prompt: Safety First « Thoughts of a wandering drunk
- Edgar Allen Poe Made Me Do It! | Mountains or Molehills
- Seeking Refuge In An Angry Place | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- DIY And Safety | Flowers and Breezes
- DAILY PROMPT: NO SAFE PLACE? | SERENDIPITY
- Torn | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | life n me!
- Bake your Fears, feel Safe! | A Crazy Chef
- Just Yesterday | djgarcia94
- Safe Haven | Real Life Co.
- Silence in the Metro | MC’s Whispers
- DAILY PROMT: SAFETY FIRST | thoughts and entanglements
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | Basically Beyond Basic
- Safety First: A First Date Gone Terribly Wrong | melanielynngriffin
- Safety First | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | From Slacker To Scribe
- Dinosaur hunting | Kate Murray
- They may not have given chase but I ran. Well, walked fast paced anyway… | thoughtsofrkh
- The unseen danger | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | The Blogging Path
- Living in Fear | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Safety First | flow of my soul
- Safety First | Danny James