Write about evil: how you understand it (or don’t), what you think it means, or a way it’s manifested, either in the world at large or in your life.
Evil exists. It is manifested by either our own personal desires and often ignited by a response to an external force or event.
Conscience or a greater external force prevents evil acts.
Years ago a wise man taught me a lesson. He said, “What if you found a quarter on the ground, what would you do?”
“I would first see if it belonged to someone,” I said. “And if not, keep it for myself.”
“But is it yours?” He said.
“Finders keepers losers weepers,” I said.
“Nice, a nice bit of philosophy by which to lead your life,” he said sardonically. “And it even rhymes. The point is, is it yours? Did you earn it, inherit it, or create it?”
“No,” I said.
“What would motivate you to think it was yours?” He said. “Is there a sense of gladness and happiness when you find it? I see people all the time find money and skip away as if it were theirs, but someplace some person is missing a quarter to complete their bus fare on a rainy night. They can‘t buy a meal because they are a quarter short. They can‘t make a phone call. And people are happy because of a person‘s misfortune of losing a quarter, finding it, and keeping it for themselves.”
“So what do you suggest I do?” I said.
“If you see a car alongside the road and the keys are in it, what do you do?” He said.
“I’d leave it there,” I said.
“What stops you from getting inside and driving away?” He said.
“The car has a registered owner,” I said. “That would be auto theft.”
“So if something is registered by the authorities than that makes a difference?” He said.
“Certainly,” I said. “But there is also the matter of value. A quarter is certainly not worth the same as a car.”
“But if that quarter gets a person a bus ride or is able to make a call for someone to pick them up the value is the same is it not?” He said.
“Yes,” I said.
“So, if I understand you,” he said. “Whether something is right or wrong depends on the law (a car registered to another person) or the value placed on something?”
“I see,” I said. “It has nothing to do with what is accepted by the community, but what my conscience will allow me to do?”
“I think you’re getting it?” He said. “So tell me in your own words what you see?”
“Very simply, the quarter does not belong to me neither does the car parked alongside the road. Even if registered to no one, it’s not mine. Perhaps the person may comeback and retrieve the quarter.”
“Evil presents itself in many ways,” he said. “And often times in a way in which we have to make decisions. At first it becomes a burden to make such decisions, but eventually it becomes easier. It’s much like riding a bike; when something comes along that knocks us off-balance we recover without even thinking about it. First we must train our conscience to recognize good and evil, right and wrong.”
“Thanks for the lesson,” I said.
“Think for a moment,” he said. “What is the base motive that would make you think that quarter belongs to you? Remember, ‘Finders keepers losers weepers.’”
“A desire to possess something that is not really mine?” I said.
“Right,” he said. “Bad and evil comes from greed and a desire to do what we don’t have the right to do, possess, or control.”
“But solid food belongs to mature people, those who through use have their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong.“ Hebrews 5:14
“But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn sin, when it has been carried out, brings forth death.” James 1:14,15
Good bloggers and evil bloggers:
- Ego | Bright Moments Catcher
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch – It’s Me!!!
- DP : Evil | Experimental Fiction
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Bizzimummy’s World
- Frosty Friday | Purple Rosemary
- Cruella Deville [Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Under the Monkey Tree
- A Lesson In Good And Evil | The Jittery Goat
- Wicked Witch | Braised Pork on Rice
- Daily Prompt: Wicked WItch | WilderThing
- EVIL SPELT BACKWARDS | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Good and evil | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: Evil In The World Today | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Is There More Good Than Evil? | Creative Mysteries
- EVIL DREAMS | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt; does evil exist, or is it all in our minds? | sixty, single and surviving
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch or some kind of EVIL | Words ‘n Pics
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | lifebeinggirly
- EVILLLLLL | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Evil … and Good | Eyes to Heart
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch. Show us evil. | Complexity of Thought
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Death’s Opinions On Life
- The Nature of Evil | Fruit Salad
- Surfer Rob addresses the evil issue | Rob’s Surf Report
- The Wrong Path | Flowers and Breezes
- BLOGGING – THE NEW EXORCISM | hastywords
- Zero Sense | Momma Roars
- Checks And Balances | Fish Of Gold
- We are the wicked witch….. and the cowardly lion….. | lizardsonthelanai
- Witch Tree: Poem | Just Visiting This Planet
- Good Intentions With Evil Consequences | Kansa Muse
- The Reaper’s Eye | vicariously in love with you
- Evil? Or just…painfully misguided? | Sai’s Notebook
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The Truth of Choice….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: The God of Mischief | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch (Haibun – Salem) | Bastet and Sekhmet’s Library
- Being wicked is one thing – but being evil, well that’s a different story. | The Flavored Word
- Which Wolf Will You Feed? | sayanything
- Evil | mentalrollercoaster
- The Devil is in the Internet | tjbarkerseattle
- Cold Blooded Love | A.C. Melody
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Morrighan’s Muse
- A Story of Evil (Wicked Witch) | standinginthestorm
- Evil: A Haiku | djgarcia94
- The Evil of Ignorance | Cheri Speak
- WIcked is Fear | Going New Places!
- What is evil? | It’s a Fine Line
- Daily Prompt: Evil | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Paradise Found | vic briggs
- S. Thomas Summers | Monsters are the Most Interesting People
- You meant it for evil… | JC Bride ~
- Living my dash | Mariposa Social
- My Evil is Sexually Wicked | Pretty Pleasures
- Eviiillll | dcms2
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | FORESTALL