Share a story about the furthest you’ve ever traveled from home.
My wife and I still live under the illusion there are places to visit untouched by the commercialism of western culture. New Orléans, Hong Kong, New York, Las Vegas, London, and Paris would be nice to visit and my wife and me would certainly find them enjoyable, but it’s not our cup of tea. We like quiet vacations on the coast of Maine.
We had heard Budapest would be a place for us. It was said to be a bit behind other cities and retained much of its old world charm. The west had not invaded or totally taken over.
We were eager for our visit. We envisioned quiet streets and walks along the Danube River. We could hardly wait to sit and chat at sidewalk cafes as we watched trolleys clickety-click by and boats slowly follow the current of the Danube. We almost heard to stings of a violin being drawn by the bow of a seasoned street musician.
After leaving our plane and walking through a thoroughly modern airport we boarded a bus for the city of Budapest.
As we approached the city we saw a billboard advertising a ZZ Top concert. The bus left us off at a fine hotel overlooking the Danube and the famous Chain Bridge, but on the first floor was a casino. We dined at a small restaurant that served Bud Light.
We arrived a decade or so too late.
Moore Traveling bloggers:
- Travels | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | Under the Monkey Tree
- The newbie wed – prologue | Beth Byrnes
- Flying from Nowhere | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- come fly with me | Bizzimummy’s World
- Rural Tourism in Russia: Russian Village Street Photography | Bright Moments Catcher
- The Lord of the Ring | Geek Ergo Sum
- Come Fly With Me…to the Dominican Republic | Maybe Not So Zen…
- Let the thoughts flow | Le Drake Noir
- My Grand Thailand Adventure! | Open to Experience
- The loveliness of Crete… | alienorajt
- To the Moon and Back | Delana’s World
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me – to Mysore
- Budapest And Bud Light | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | Anniemation Floe
- Come Fly With Me: Traveling from the Bottom to the Top of the World | Charles Ray’s Ramblings
- New post Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | Welcome to msxhan. The great tricks, tips, infos, poetry and much more.
- Back to Starting point | crookedeyebrows
- She’s Leaving Home | Javagrrl Cafe
- DAILY PROMPT: JOURNEY – AN IRISH HONEYMOON | SERENDIPITY
- Come Fly with Me – Jumping Pics Around the World | First for Everything
- Oh Chanukkah, Oh Chanukkah … in Israel! | Stacy Gittleman’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly With Me | Transitions
- Enjoying the sunshine in New York’s green promenade is possible; it should be the case in Albania too | Laura’s Little Things
- Life Living In Europe | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me- to the West Coast | Wordz on a Page
- Let’s fly away. | smoke&mirrors
- Rockin Down That Highway | maunderingsofaninja
- Daily Prompt: Travels | veryvanessalynn
- DAILY PROMPT: HONEYMOON IN IRELAND | SERENDIPITY
- Travels [Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me] | unknowinglee
- [DAILY PROMPT] Come Fly with Me. | Fathia’s little cave
- Wanderlust | Drops of Magic
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | life n me!
- Short Story – ” The Hunters- A Thanksgiving story “ « Dancing with Fireflies
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly with Me | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Come Fly With Me | Undecided Answer
- Home… Where is that? | An Upturned Soul
- Come Fly with Me | Going New Places!
- “Travels” | Relax
- Under the Bridge | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- A Long Time Ago In a Graduate School Far, Far Away
- Flying Crab Apples: A Daily Prompt | melanielynngriffin
- Come Fly with Me [Daily Prompt/NaBloPoMo]
- Daily Prompt: Traveling | Tommia’s Tablet
- Travels … on the pier | … Lara Klopp … Variegated Musings …
- The Reluctant Tourist | Just Visiting This Planet
- Travels … back in time | … Lara Klopp … Variegated Musings …
- Travels … curiousity | … Lara Klopp … Variegated Musings …
- Journey To The Valley Of Makkah | seifsalamakarem
- Photolog of the US | A mom’s blog
- China | The Land Slide Photography
- Flying First Time | Flowers and Breezes
- Time Travel | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Bratwurst and Bitterballen | Fruit Loops & Foie Gras
- Come Fly with Me | Real Life Co.
- Kirkwood, Missouri | Life is great
- I have been 1/8 of the way to the moon – and there are really big spiders there! | The Flavored Word
- NaBloPoMo: A Trip to Remember | The Joyful Soul
- Once in a Lifetime….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- The impossibility of sleep on an airline. | thoughtsofrkh
- Once, we were THIS far away … | Margaret Rose Stringer
- Far Far Away | Giving Thought | Giving Sight