The Boise/BYU game will be tough to predict the score.
Let’s back up to last week. I predicted Boise over Nevada 52 – 10.
One can not predict the unforeseeable, like starting quarterback Joe Southwick breaking his ankle on the first play of the game. That set the Boise State offense back a bit in the first half, thus giving Nevada’s offense opportunity to possess the ball.
The Boise State’s defense kept the Nevada offense from scoring in the second half.
If the Southwick injury had not happened the 52 – 10 prediction would have been spot-on.
Grant Hedrick is physically a different animal than Joe Southwick. He is much faster. Joe has the edge when it comes to experience, reading defenses, calling audibles, and finding open receivers.
Good athletes and competitors raise to the level of competition they play. Grant Hedrick is a good athlete and competitor.
BYU had a big win over Texas. We know they can compete with the best. They just outgunned a good Houston team.
I’m caught between my heart and my head. One should always go with their head. So I’m going with my heart.
Boise will unite behind Grant Hedrick as a team never has. They will come out emotionally charged. Hedrick will be like lightening in a bottle. Frankly, I think the current offensive scheme used by the Broncos is better suited for a quarterback like Hedrick.
There isn’t a lot of video on Grant Hedrick. BYU will have problems preparing. BYU will not know what to expect; an option, a spread, a run, or a drop back and pass offense. They have had problems with untested and new quarterbacks this year.
I’m going with 38 – 21 Broncos.
Here’s my previous predictions:
1. Boise over UW 35-17 (Actual, 6-38 UW, hope springs eternal.)
2. Boise over UT Martin 49-0 (Actual 63-14, got the spread.)
3. Boise over Air Force 45-17 (Actual, 42-20, missed by a field goal on both ends.)
4. Boise over Fresno 45-30 (Actual 41-40 Fresno win, Frankly if the game were held any place, but Fresno…)
5. Boise over Southern Miss 49-10 (Actual 60-7, Petersen purposely left the first team in too long to foil me and Demarcus Lawrence was off-sides on one of his blocked field goals [not really, I’m just a sore loser})
6. Boise over Utah State 35-7 (Actual, 34-23, My original prediction was 52-7. I think if BSU would have played the second half without their foot on the brake that would have been more likely. Let’s be honest the game was not really that close.)
7. Boise over Nevada 52-10 (Actual, 34-17. If not for the Southwick injury Boise would have scored 50+ and Nevada would not have scored 17.)