Tell us about the last time you had a real, deep, crying-from-laughing belly laugh.
Subtle humor is what I enjoy best. It’s the humor where you walk away from a situation with a smile and no one else knows what happened. Often times I don’t know until time is taken to reconstruct it in my mind.
Uproarious, side-slapping, belly-grasping, snot-blowing moments are rare, unscripted, and can never be duplicated. The interesting thing is that some don’t get them. The recipient of such humor must be in a particular state of mind. What is uncontrollably funny at funeral parlor won’t work at the family hog roast.
It is as if all the forces of humor must be in complete alignment for it to happen.
If you don’t want to read any further, that’s okay. This story involves a normal body function that occurs (most generally) in the bathroom. Now that I have you attention let’s continue.
For a period of time I babysat my grandson for an hour or so each day. Rather than drove to my home or his we might go to McDonald’s
The first time we went to McDonald’s I ordered coffee and he ordered a hot chocolate.
As we sat at the booth he said, “What do we do now, grandpa?”
“Well,” I said. “Buddies do what buddies do.”
“What does that mean?”
“Buddies sit and have coffee and talk things over,” I said. “Buddies do what buddies do means you do things for your buddy.”
Not having the concept of male bonding in mind he smiled and sipped away at his hot chocolate.
A week later, instead of McDonald’s, we went to my house. We were there no more than five minutes and he said told me, “Grandpa, I got to go to the bathroom.”
“Sure, Buddy,” I said. “Go ahead.”
“But it’s the messy kind,” he said.
“Don’t worry,” I said.
“But grandpa,” he said. “I can’t wipe and what if it’s really messy?”
Kids have too much to worry about. Potty training is a child’s first traumatic experience in their life. I don’t want it to leave him scared for life with a comment like, “Ya little weasel, ya better hold it until your mom comes!”
A couple of minutes later comes the cry for assistance. “Grandpa, I’m done.”
Just before entering the bathroom I took a deep breath. I figured the job can be completed before having to breath again.
Just before starting the task my grandson says, “I better warn you, it’s messy.”
I can’t speak. I’m holding my breath, but his empathic concern for the moment was overpowering. I held in my laughter.
There was a moment he knew I needed courage so he said, “Buddies do what buddies do.”
I lost it.
I guess you had to be there. Well, anyway, I wish somebody was, besides me.
Bloggers with gut aches:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Drool-worthy |
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut – show us JOYFUL. | masadiso79’s Blog
- From the Gut – The Vampire Butterfly | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Joyful | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- 4.7 Daily Prompt: From the Gut | family photos food & craft
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | George and Nigel
- Hysterical Joy | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Joyful, A Poem | Vicariously Poetic
- Washday… maybe a few clean jokes too… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | Under the Monkey Tree
- Let’s face it, farting is funny. | thoughtsofrkh
- Neighbelline | Daily Prompt: From the Gut | likereadingontrains
- What Buddies Will Do For Each Other | The Jittery Goat
- The Belly Laugh | Marriage in Limbo: The In-Between State
- From the gut in a most unexpected place | Nanuschka’s Blog
- LOL | Spunky Wayfarer
- Bitcoins vs. Dollars | To Pursue Happiness
- Daily Prompt: Laughing So Hard | My Daily Prompt Blog
- My Date With Dad | Musing Off the Mat
- Tears From the Gut | Beats and Pieces
- The powah of prayah | Relax…
- Daily Prompts: From the Gut « Mama Bear Musings
- You Crack Me Up! | Prayers and Promises
- Thoughts on Laughter | The Drowning Octopus
- the UNCATEGORISED: Daily prompt… | the TRASH BASH
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | iChristian
- Freedom… | Haiku By Ku
- Small Wonder: Daily Prompt: From the Gut | so i wrote
- Laughter | Thriving Pessimist…
- A fit FIT.. | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Uncontrolled Laughter! | amateurxpress
- Danny Kaye’s aria | Vivir, que no es poco
- Immunizations Anyone? | A Day in the Life
- From the Gut | bheehappy
- Breathless From Laughter « Getting Rid Of Boredom
- Silly Girls | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | Faraziyya
- Daily Prompt: From the Gut | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Laughter as medicine | tornin2’s Blog
- That One Time I (almost) Met Bill Clinton | the theory of everything
- Oh! | clarior e tenebris
- Another taxi ha-ha moment | Nanuschka’s Blog
- From the Gut | Geek Ergo Sum
- ParentingFollow Topics Bad Parenting Children Day Job Good Parenting | maydoesit’s Blog
- Laughing out Loud with Deadpool | The Nameless One
- I Have the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy Down in my Heart | God Through My Eyes
- Daily Prompt: The Sound of Laughter | One Starving Activist
- That’s Not Right! | SOPHIE dans le métro
- Left Is Scary and Other Hilarious Incidents | Resident Alien — Being Dutch in America
- From the Gut: Love & Lindisfarne | Khana’s Web