If you could permanently ban a word from general usage, which one would it be? Why?
We live in an interesting time. It is a time when people must pretend some words don’t exist. If a person should use a word that is supposed to not exist there are dire consequences ahead for that person.
Paula Deen found out.
First, before ya’ll get up in arms, I don’t enjoy her cooking program. The program is personality driven and not about cooking. Second, I deplore the use of the n-word as a label to a person or race. Third, I feel childish for saying n-word. It makes me think I’m saying “poopy” instead of, well, you know. For the reason it is offensive it should not be used.
The word devalues a person immediately. Yet, it is used by blacks with impunity. It can be used as either a term of revulsion or affection. It was used by Mark Twain in his works. He used it in an innocent way, a way that it was used for it’s time. It is there. Leave it alone. It is a grim and sad reminder of a time when we were not so pure and maybe not so innocent or sensitive to others.
To pretend the word does not exist is to pretend you haven’t drug dog poopy into the house on the bottom of your shoe. “What is that smell?” “What smell? I don’t smell anything.”
The same people or mentality who want to rid the world of the n-word has no problem with the f-bomb. And it is a bomb. Entertainers use it in live performances, such as Streisand of all people. Vice President Joe Biden used in front of a live microphone. The Nixon tapes sounded like a redneck bar conversation.
That does not justify its use.
I’m really old fashion. I don’t like to hear it from anyone, but when a woman uses it I really cringe. I don’t think that makes me sexist. When a child uses it I nearly go into cardiac arrest.
I sour on the writer that uses it.
Reality shows use it as a throw-in word to balance the cadence of a sentence.
If one has to use the word to balance a sentence, to make a joke funny, to express a dramatic emotion, or to sound tough, they are likely none of those things.
I can’t think of a circumstance where the word is appropriate. Okay, induction into the Marine Corps – not really.
Any form of the word has no value.
So when I say drop the f-bomb I don’t mean use it. I mean drop it from the vocabulary. There are thousands of more descriptive words.
Like my post? Please support me by clicking on the Mersi button
More wordless bloggers:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You « Mama Bear Musings
- Let words live and die on their own | Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Banning words | DCMontreal
- Get rid of “should” | THE WORM IN MY APPLE
- No, thank you | Taking time, making time
- Real men don`t rape | Joakim Knudsen Photography
- No, Thank Yous!! | Mary Angelini Photography
- Excuse me, you said what!? | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Land’s End | A Teacher’s Blog
- Rob’s Surf Report
- Is most unnecessary word “the”? | Rob’s Surf Report
- A Word I’d Like To Drop | The Jittery Goat
- BAN LOVE | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Daily Prompt: No! | suzie81’s Blog
- Style | Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | think | architect
- “Dump” | Relax…
- Escape | Hope* the happy hugger
- No No No, Baby | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt – Never…anymore | Create & Motivate!
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Hasta Lasagna, Don’t Get Any On Ya! | Stuphblog
- Daily Prompt: Shame on “SHOULD”! | Iam Who Iam
- At the end of the Day… a la Naas Botha | The Rider
- Let’s Not Say | clarior e tenebris
- It Would Be So Very:Daily Prompt | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Musings&Rants
- I love you, but… | Pink Woods
- Recuperate… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Ban a Word – CombatBabe
- Daily Prompt: Don’t Call Me Out My Name | One Starving Activist
- No Laws, Just A Reminder | Maggie’s Stories
- Words | Cheri Speak
- You make me wanna throw up, lol jk. | Thoughts of a Lesser Canine
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You – show us NO. | masadiso79’s Blog
- No thank you “Feel” | Geek Ergo Sum
- Contemplating “normal” | That Socially Anxious Atheist Paranoid Gay
- No, Thank You | The Nameless One
- Another ban? No, thank you | Vivir, que no es poco
- Book Burning | Compass & Quill
- No! | Taking One Day At A Time
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Postcards from
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Moonlight Reflections
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Vagabond
- Daily Prompt | Lifentruthz
- No, Thank You: Ban the Ban | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | itisnotaboutmeblog
- Daily Prompt: HATE is a banned word! | The Abuse Expose’ with Secret Angel
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Prateek Bhatia
- Catherine B.’s Blog | You are not Sorry | Daily Prompt | No, Thank You
- Paula Deen’s Mistake | windandlaughter
- To ban or not to ban | tornin2’s Blog
- Daily Prompt : No | Hamburg und Mee(h)r
- A tiltott szó | léna világa
- Like Awesome? No. | sakshidayal
- Bully For You | A Good One
- Daily Prompt: Oh, the choices! | Left to Write
- Paucisyllabism | Journey of a Creative Playful Explorer
- the UNCATEGORISED: Daily Prompt | HASHTAG NO THANK YOU | #NO | the TRASH BASH
- Daily Prompt: No Thank You | Postcards to my Aunt BJ
- What’s in a Word | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Musical Foodie Love
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt: No, Thank You | prettywitgla33es