Arthur had been under the care of a psychologist, Dr. Benjamin Gordon for five years. Arthur was afraid of everything; people, bugs, dogs, cats, water, moving vehicles, and so on but his greatest fears were heights and flying.
He could not even watch a program or movie that had a scene inside an airplane.
He lived a tortured existence.
Under the care of Dr. Gordon Arthur was now enrolled at a local college. Dr. Gordon was able to treat his fear of books. Dr. Gordon told him that as long as he had books that they would help him overcome his fears. And it seemed to work. Everyplace Arthur went he carried his text books in his backpack. He visited parks, coffee shops, and was using public transportation rather than walking. He was now going to parks where people often brought their pets.
His progress was remarkable. Dr. Gordon was even preparing a paper on Arthur’s progress and was involved in a serious conversation with a publisher to write a book about his methods of overcoming fears and using Arthur’s story as the premise.
The day arrived for the culmination of Dr. Gordon’s work with Arthur. Arthur was about to parachute from a plane.
Dr. Gordon was an experienced parachutist and testified to Arthur that parachuting was essential to overcome many of his own phobias.
“If you do this one single act there is nothing for you to ever fear again. You will be a free man,” Dr. Gordon told Arthur sitting next to him on the small plane as it ascended.
Arthur was quite nervous. He patted his books in the backpack and smiled nervously at Dr. Gordon for assurance and courage.
The plane climbed for a few minutes. Arthur’s mouth was dry. Dr. Gordon continually assured him about the safety of parachuting and having confidence in his equipment and above all himself. “It’s safer than walking down a flight of stairs,” Dr. Gordon assured.
“We’re at four thousand feet,” the pilot said through the cockpit door. “Anytime you’re ready.”
“I can’t do this,” Arthur said.
“Sure you can,” Dr. Gordon said. “You’ve come too far to turn back now. You can do it!”
“I have to do it without thinking about it,” Arthur said. “Just go automatically through the motions as if I’ve done it all my life. It’s all second nature. No fear because I’ve done it before. Right Dr. Gordon? Just the way you told me.”
“That’s the spirit,” Dr. Gordon said. “You’ve got it!”
As Dr. Gordon moved forward to the cockpit to make certain of the drop zone Arthur quickly suited-up for the jump.
Dr. Gordon returned to find Arthur standing at the door of the plane with both hands firmly gripping the sides. At last he was about to face and overcome his fears.
Arthur looked at the miniature faraway world below and gulped.
“Do it Arthur!” Dr. Gordon said. “Free yourself.”
Arthur had a fearful smile. “Give me a nudge.”
“Just count to five and pull,“ Dr. Gordon said.
Arthur grabbed for his ripcord. It was the most freighting look ever seen on a man’s face. It was twisted in fear and doubt. Arthur tried to take a breath.
Dr. Gordon shoved Arthur.
Arthur tumbled from the plane. Dr. Gordon smiled and mumbled, “You have done it lad, you have done it.”
Dr. Gordon was pleased. He looked over at the Arthur’s empty seat and smiled. “He even did it without taking his books with him, such progress.” Dr. Gordon’s eyes widened. “That’s his parachute! He strapped on his backpack full of books!”
Dr. Gordon sat. He thought, ‘The books were always a crutch. I wonder if they helped this time? I see now why he had a fear of books; they are of little use when falling from a plane.’
Like my post? Please support me by clicking on the Mersi button
Bloggers with phobias:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Push me! | Icescreammama
- Quit My Job | Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | likereadingontrains
- Should I, or shouldn’t I? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Jumping into Marriage | Texan in Tokyo
- Daily Prompt: Might as well Jump | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- The Incredible Jumping Logan | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Letting Go: Daily Prompt Might as Well Jump | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- I’d risk my lifeblood | Right Down My Alley
- Leaping Over the Fear of Failure | Ramisa the Authoress
- Daily Prompt: Migh as well Jump « Mama Bear Musings
- Utter Lack of Ability | windandlaughter
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump And Be Happy | Mindful Splatter
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump – show us JUMP. | masadiso79’s Blog
- Might As Well Jump: A Leap of Faith | Mary Angelini Photography
- Jump! It can’t get any worse! | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Catherine B.’s Blog | High Risk, High Reward | Daily Prompt: Jump
- Jump Right In | Tony’s Texts
- Fear Of Books (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Still doable | Spunky Wayfarer
- Sorta-Ginger | Gotta Start Sometime
- Jump | The Silver Lining of the Optimistic Pessimist
- IN MY FACE (what I should have done and didn’t) so might as well jump! | BORNTOBEAFAN
- Daily Prompt: I Took A Leap Of Faith | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt – The Deathly Jump | Create & Motivate!
- To Jump or Not to Jump | mobibrad
- might as well jump. | The Living Oils Project
- Daily Prompt: Free Write | One Starving Activist
- Almost, maybe | Relax…
- the PEEP SHOW: Daily Prompt | Might As Well Jump | the TRASH BASH
- Might As Well Jump! | New Visions
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | The Educated Illiterates
- Skydiving? Something Even Better/Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | moms to motorcycles
- Might as well jump | Geek Ergo Sum
- The contemplated jump | Rob’s Surf Report
- Donate | Vivir, que no es poco
- Risk | Heathernotes
- Jump! | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Might As Well Jump | The self sufficient single mother
- Stagnant in Staten Island [Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- Can I hear you say Jump | Thriving Pessimist…
- Risk taking and The Fear | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Afraid To Leap, Adoption and Fostering | Reclaiming My Narnia
- Daily Prompt: Might as Well Jump | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Might As Well Jump | The Nameless One
- Breathing Underwater | hansolosvagina
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | iChristian
- Darling! You simply MUST read my screenplay! | The Cheeky Diva
- Risk | Lost in Adeline’s
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | Sonel’s Corner
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | Lazy Lily
- Daily Prompt: Might as well JUMP | Postcards from
- A COVENANT MADE | hastywords
- Just Leap . . . And The Net Appears | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Might As Well Jump | Scribbling Gizmos
- Take That Jump! | Mind My Mind But…
- A REALLY AWFULLY JUMPY WHALE OF A TAIL | Colonialist’s Blog
- Interviews schminterviews | Bookmouse
- Dare I Take the Plunge? | The Office of Iguana Flats
- The Woes of a Pantaphobic | meanderedwanderings
- Might as well Jump. | Going New Places!
- Jump, Jump, Jump | clarior e tenebris