You’re asked to nominate someone for TIME’s Person of the Year. Who would it be, and why?
Time Magazine’s Person of the Year was born out of a time when people, in general, were gullible to think that such a designation meant something.
The designation today assumes people care. It really only indicates how out of touch with reality Time is with the world and the public.
A quick survey of past Person’s of the Year show a bias against women: only four woman and one of them was Wallis Simpson. I know, Wallis who?
Some were truly evil and despotic people; Hitler, Khrushchev, and Stalin. Stalin was so good they named him twice. Two were Presidents who disgraced the office, Nixon and Clinton. One was nominated and named for doing nothing other than winning an election; Obama. One was a general who was likely responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands while losing a war; Westmoreland. This is just a sampling. With the exception of a few, those selected were responsible for much bad, yet selected on the basis that, at least, the good outweighed the bad.
The whole Person of the Year thing is like the cutest couple contest in high school; give them another twenty years they’ll be fat, ugly, miserable, and nobody will be able to recognize them. It’s all high-school-Harry stuff.
I suppose to play along with this silly exercise I should nominate somebody. It’s a guy or a gal who gets up every morning, goes to work, and comes home. They pay their taxes, mow their lawns, feeds the birds, smiles at strangers, reads to their kids, pays their bills, charitable, kind, compassionate, doesn’t blast their stereo, looks out for their neighbor, doesn’t take what is not theirs, never marched in protest, obeys the laws, bathes frequently, doesn’t do anything to their body that nature or God had not intended, bends over to pick up litter, and doesn‘t think they‘re the center of the universe.
That leaves just me and you and you can’t vote, so there!
Just joking; my wife, my kids, my friends.
Bloggers of the year:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Not a people pleaser | A Teacher’s Blog
- Too Early to Decide | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | likereadingontrains
- The Woman is not perfect | A Teacher’s Blog
- Riding on a Donkey – what for? | A Teacher’s Blog
- Madiba | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- 159. Daily Prompt: Big | Sofie’s Diary
- BIG | thoughtsofrkh
- 50 Word: Person of the Year | Kristina Barry
- 50 Words: Person of the Year | Scant Words
- GES Person of the (mid) Year award | Geek Ergo Sum
- GES Person of the (mid) Year award – The Oblivious | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Person Of The Year | iChristian
- I Nominate My Bezzie | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | Words From The Desk Of An Insomniac
- A Person of the Year | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Tata Madiba for Person of the Year | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Bassem Youseff: Person of the Year | بيسان
- Big and Awesome! | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: BIG | Postcards from
- The Person of the Year; And It Ain’t You | The Jittery Goat
- My person of the year is…. | Hope* the happy hugger
- DP – Person Of The Year | Life With Pink Princesses
- What Makes People Deserve Awards? | windandlaughter
- Dirty Laundry – [Daily Prompt: Person of the Year] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompts: Person of the Year « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Parents of the Year | Thriving Pessimist…
- Daily prompt: BIG | It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see – Thoreau
- Foster Mama of the Year… | Haiku By Ku
- Donors | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Big | HpWpBp
- Flying On Empty Thoughts | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year
- Teacher and Mother: A true person of the year | Lewis Cave
- Into The Distance | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Big // 365 Day 138 | AmiLoo’s Photography
- Person of the year | March of the Gypsies
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | On My Front Porch
- Person of The Year | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Meet Donald, the Ticket Tearer | Iam Who Iam
- Daily Prompt: Time Before Time | One Starving Activist
- Bigger, nothing. | Hasta Que mi Corazón Explote… | Until my Heart Explodes…
- His name is Bill W. | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Jane or John Doe | Vivir, que no es poco
- I have the power | That Socially Anxious Atheist Paranoid Gay
- ARTIST OF THE YEAR? | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Person of the Year | Utter Rubbish
- Daily Prompt: Person Of The Year, Really Time? | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Person Of The Year | suzie81’s Blog
- “In Laurel & Hardy times,..” | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year – Josh Clark – designer of the c25k running programme | Slow and steady
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | Off The Beaten Path (Being Silly in the City)
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | The Tarot Alchemist
- WEEE Man | Life through a Lens
- Person of the Year: Big | Khana’s Web
Like my post? Please support me by clicking on the Mersi button