You have the power to enact a single law. What would it be?
If you’ve come here to read about the one law that will make everyone love each other and get along, you may as well go someplace else.
This Daily Prompt likely comes from the expression after some aggravating circumstance, “There oughta be a law.”
Usually we have been personally inconvenienced. Enough people are personally inconvenienced and they get together. They frame a law and pass a law that benefits them, but harms, infringes, or impinges on the rights of others. Those people then do the same thing. Now you have dueling laws instead of banjos.
No, I’m not falling for this one, there are already plenty of laws. You’ve probably heard the expression locks are made to keep honest people out. Well, laws are made to restrict the rights of good people. Sure there are good laws. I don’t argue that, like 20 MPH in a school zone.
At one time abortions were illegal. It was a reflection of how a society, at large, viewed life and the potential of a human endeavor. The law was not only motivated by religious tenants, but reason and logic.
All the sudden everybody got smarter. Is it really a life? When does it become a life? Don’t I have the right to exercise the rights over my own body? Sex became a right with no responsibly or consequences. Evil men ran away from pregnant and destitute women so why not level the playing field.
(We have too many kids. Let’s get rid of speed limit signs in school zones. Let’s do it for future generations.)
Some laws are meant to level the playing field.
Laws meant to level the playing field often have a reverse effect. Many laws were enacted to assure equal rights for minorities and females. There are laws for affirmative action, hate crimes, school busing, and so on. The laws are well-intentioned, but all can produce a negative effect.
We now have reverse discrimination legal cases, where the plaintiff claims to have been passed over for a job because he is qualified and in the majority. It seems hardly fair to him. All the sudden the playing field is tilted.
Hate crimes are framed to additionally punish someone for a particular hatred one might display toward a race, religion, culture, or sexual orientation. I hope to never hit a car that has a rainbow sticker on it. “Your honor it is obvious Mr. Lewis was aiming for my clients car. At the same time the collision occurred he was listening to a right-wing talk show.”
I suppose school busing had benefits, but most were enjoyed by the companies that built school buses and it provided a bunch of part-time jobs. How many kids were picked up before dark, transported an hour and a half to a strange location, and dropped off back home just as the sun set?
Crooks like laws. It’s opportunity to make money. Every law makes money. It’s like a cash crop. It keeps lawyers, judges, and court personnel employed. It provides cash for government in the way of fines.
No, not me, I don’t want to make laws. I don’t want to be a part of a crime syndicate.
Drunk with power bloggers:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- I Got 99 Problems and A Dick Ain’t One | That Girl Ryan
- New Law: Eliminate Smoking in Public Places | Spirituality, Inspiration, Poetry – SkillCode
- The stupid people act 2013 | Geek Ergo Sum
- Power Up ~ Let’s Write Your Success Story! | Misifusa’s Blog
- Follow the Rules! | Dean’z Wordz
- Daily Prompt: Rules | Serenity Sometimes
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power « Mama Bear Musings
- You’ve got the power | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Rules of the Road (Ralley) | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Four Days On, Three Days Off – [Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power] | unknowinglee
- Philippine Anti-Dynasty Law | Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | بيسان
- Just stop it. It’s gross. And ******* annoying. | thoughtsofrkh
- Thinking should be a law | THE WORM IN MY APPLE
- Another Law? | Lewis Cave
- Take The Power And Shove It | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power #WW | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | LADYBOY PROMPT
- I have the power…. | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got The Power or Rules | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Pursuant to… | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | The Blogging Path
- We live in a “fine” city… an old joke |
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- I am the Law! – CombatBabe
- Hazy Silhouette | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: You’ve got the power | Blog of the imaginator
- PayTV just isn’t cricket. | Cyntech
- Keep the Testimonies | A Teacher’s Blog
- Hurrah Sanitation! | Make Melodies
- Stop the war – Blognovic’s Weblog
- Save My Cousins… | Haiku By Ku
- Poets Just Wanna Have Fun | Maggie’s Stories
- The law of… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: A Single Law to Replace All Others | Iam Who Iam
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: You’ve got the Power | Thriving Pessimist…
- It’s getting kinda hectic | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | On My Front Porch
- Kind of a Bum
- You’ve Got The Power: Power Back to the People | Mary Angelini Photography
- Kind of a law | Kind of a Bum
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power – And I plan to keep it! | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Rules | Postcards from
- The “Mind Your Own Business” Law | Joseph Rathjen – Freelance Writing
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do | Here’s My Heart & Here’s My Mouth
- The Daily Prompt Becomes Promptless, Season 2 Episode 5: Gezelligheid is the Law of the Land | One Starving Activist
- The Ultimate Single Power | Manmatha Rasa
- Daily Prompt: The Birthday Freebies Law of 2013 | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- There should only be one law… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt; You’ve Got The Power | terry1954
- Staying in Focus: Daily Prompt:You Have the Power/My Law | Staying in Focus
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | Basically Beyond Basic
- Great Intentions | Out of Bockenheim
- I don’t want to be a politician | Vivir, que no es poco
- Power is “You” : On Food Waste | Journey Called Life …
- You’ve Got the Power | The Nameless One
- The Power!! The Law of Positive Speaking… | The Abuse Expose’ with Secret Angel
- The Frog Prince | Taking One Day At A Time
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got The Power | iChristian
- Daily Prompt: New Law In The USA (Maybe) | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Gadzooks! Shenanigans afoot! | hansolosvagina
- Daily Prompt: Make Me Smile Act 2013 | 21cats.
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | The Tarot Alchemist
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power — The Gravity of the Situation | cinnwriterblog
- Where Do RulesCome From?: A Daily Post Response | Maggie’s Writing
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got The Power // 365 Day 137 – Rules | AmiLoo’s Photography
- a woman’s life had rules | sarahscapes
- Daily Prompt: You’ve Got the Power | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- You’ve Got the Power | The Law Starts Here « Kakie’s Corner
- Rules at the Great Wall | Travel with Intent
- You’ve Got the Power: In The Service Of The State | Khana’s Web
Like my post? Please support me by clicking on the Mersi button