Tell us about a thing you’ll never write about.
The interactions and actions of characters to a situation is the most powerful drama that can be written. The one word, the one look, to a writer it’s like a flower that unfolds.
The brilliance of writing well is doing so in such a way that the mind is drawn into the scene with as few words as possible. Leave all the fancy words to people who write lies in those vacation magazines.
A few years ago a writer was working on a detective novel. He sent a few sample chapters. The story was compelling. In one scene a detective brings in a beautiful female suspect for questioning. He used two pages to develop an antagonistic relationship between them. He wanted some advice on how to make it more intense and shorter. I suggested this shorter version:
“What is your name?”
“Do some people call you Gabby?”
“Gabby, do you know why you’re here.”
Gabriel said three words yet spoke volumes. Why? Because we know the look on her face, we know the look on the detective’s face, we can feel the tension in the room, and we can even imagine the physical posture of the characters.
He didn’t like it and wrote another page of ranting and cursing characters.
I am cautious about bad language also. I once wrote a chapter in a novel. The chapter was based on real characters and events. The language used by one character was raw and unedited. It wasn’t my writing, it wasn‘t me. Sure I know it was the character speaking, but it’s on my page!
I revised it:
Jason looked at me and hurled a string of vulgar cursing. I’d never recalled seeing him so infuriated.
I became fearful for his health, but not enough so that I refrained from offering an innocent sarcastic recommendation, “You really should invest in a dictionary. You have trouble distinguishing adjectives from obvious verbs.”
There are some things you don’t have to write about. The reader’s imagination is probably better and more gifted than your own words. They may have seen more sunrises, sunsets, beautiful mountains, trickling creeks, placid meadows, and may even live in a sleepy little village that you are trying do describe to the point of nausea. Sex does not have to be described for the very reasons given in the last sentence.
“He gazed at her like a thousand tomorrows would never arrive, followed by one kiss after another. Suddenly it was morning.”
Your characters could have fallen asleep. Who cares? The point is that you feel their emotional connection. To me that’s all that needs to be described.
If a character jumps from the thirtieth floor I don’t need to know how the impact felt. I know already, it hurt like the dickens – but not for long.
Bloggers who never…:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Never | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- never | charlottesville winter
- Daily Prompt: Never « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Never | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: Never | LooknWalk
- Daily Prompt: Never | Stevie’s Words
- I can’t | Vivir, que no es poco
- The Letter That Killed Me | Daily Prompt: Never | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Never | unknowinglee
- Sorta-Ginger | Return of the Counter-Productive Prompt!
- The Forbidden Field | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- What I Won’t Write | Maggie’s Stories
- What I would never write about… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Seldom | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Never | A Good One
- Never: Regrets | Mary Angelini Photography
- Never!!! | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: The Dreaded Olive | Mama Spaghetti
- the north remembers | Je ne sais quoi
- Never say never (Daily Prompt) | The Rider
- Yes, that. | Relax…
- I Never Write About Sex | The Jittery Goat
- Serene silence | A beetle with earrings
- Daily Prompt – Never | kalabalu
- Daiy Prompt: Never | Maggie’s Blog
- I will never write about Politics | My thought exactly…!
- ROAD AHEAD CLOSED | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Wondering What? | Tommia’s Tablet
- I will never be (legally) his: Daily prompt “Never” | Texan in Tokyo
- Never Say Never – CombatBabe
- Keeping you a Secret | The Bluebird of Happiness 幸福
- The Morning After | Lewis Cave
- Never. | ayimas
- Never (not for you) | Quill Takes Flight
- Daily Prompt: Never | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Flying On Empty Thoughts | The Clichéd Undead.
- Daily Prompt – Never | Cyntech
- I never write about … (Undecided) | theconsciouswriter
- June Daily Prompt: My Day is MAYDAY to Post | Portofolio Prita
- Daily Prompt: Never | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Never | From Slacker To Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Never | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: Never Say Never Again | Angelyn’s Crimes of Passion
- Never would have imagined 🙂 | MindBlur
- Daily Prompt: Forbidden | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: Are Philias Taboo? | Iam Who Iam
- What Not to Say | doctorandmrso
- This Rain… Never | Hasta Que mi Corazón Explote… | Until my Heart Explodes…
- Daily Story A Day 5 June 2013: Never Pesevered | One Starving Activist
- No Sex Please, We’re British! | Clive’s Blog
- Dazed & Confused | Daily Prompt: Never | Words From The Desk Of An Insomniac
- Words Forbidden | Metal Angel
- Daily Prompt: Never | A Small Press Life
- Longing | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- I am an adult now and still I cannot tell. | My thoughts on a page.
- Daily Prompt: Never | sophie vibes
- Verboten and Touchy Subjects | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Never? Well, not likely. And certainly not in great detail. | thoughtsofrkh
- The daily post: forbidden | MyBlog – solaner
- DAILY PROMPT- NEVER – GOD | The be-all and end-all
- Daily Prompt: Never | Everyday Adventures
- Daily Prompt: Hush, Hush | Bullets and Hearts
- I’ll Never Tell Except When I Do | sandylikebeach
- Feeling Cranky | Front Porches and Candlelight
- Never ever. Do you hear me? NEVER! (the tricky DAILY POST’S tricky daily prompt) | a seriously writing woman
- Never | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Never, Nefre, Not Ever | Donbury Pond
- Daily Prompt: Forbidden | six degrees photography
- Daily Prompt: Never | The Tarot Alchemist
- Never: Never Say Never | Khana’s Web
- Thank You, NaBloPoMo | The New Stream of Conscience
- Daily Prompt: Forbidden | More than a Cat
- The Things We Just Don’t Say | Compass & Quill
- Daily Prompt: Never (Say Never) | Under the Monkey Tree
- Words I Promise to Never Use | The Grizzly Kid
- That’s why NEVER! | Journey Called Life …
- Never and Slightly Ever | Right The Writer
- Daily Prompt: Never | The corner of my imagination
- Daily Prompt: Never | The Blogging Path
- Wherein he Gets the Girl | Babsje Heron
- never say never | memoirs of an unremarkable man
Like my post? Please support me by clicking on the Mersi button