Write about your first name: Are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
The curtain fell. The opera was over and the audience slowly filed from the theater. Everyone talked about the baritone, his looks, his voice, and his stage presence. No one was more excited and giddy than two sisters, Lucille age sixteen and Minnie fourteen.
“Did you see how gorgeous he was?” Minnie said.
“His voice was so pure I thought my heart was about to melt away,” Lucille said.
“We got to rush too the hospital and tell Momma,” Minnie said. “Do you have the program. It has his picture on it.”
“Yes I have it. I’m having it framed. Do you have enough money left to take the street car?” Lucille said.
“I used the extra to buy the program,” Minnie said.
“That’s okay,” Lucille said. “We can run just as fast.”
“I hope Momma hasn’t named our brother yet,” Minnie said. “Once she sees the picture on the program she’ll want to name him after our gorgeous baritone.”
The girls ran until their legs were about to give out. They slowed to catch their breath in a cold crisp November evening.
“He’s so handsome,” Minnie said breathless.
“How could anybody be that handsome?” Lucille said.
“I wonder if he’s married?” Minnie said.
“Oh, Minnie,” Lucille said. “He’s too old for you, but he’s just right for me,” and she giggled.
“You’re sixteen,” Minnie said. “You’re not ready for marriage.”
“I’ll soon be,” Lucille said assuredly. “And he’ll wait for me; all gentlemen with breeding do that.”
“I’m just two years behind you and when he sees my beautiful green eyes and curls he’ll wait for me,” Minnie fluttered her eyes and stroked her hair. “Besides I got sass.”
“Men of good breeding don’t like sass,” Lucille said and added softly. “They like women who are demur like me.”
“When did you become demur?” Minnie said.
“Right now,” Lucille said and began running toward the hospital.
“Demur girls don’t run,” Minnie said and ran after Lucille.
The girls arrived at the hospital. They caught their breath and sneaked past the receptionist’s and the nurse’s desk in the maternity ward. They slipped quietly into Momma’s room.
She was holding their five day old brother.
“Oh girls,” Momma said. “I wasn’t expecting you. It’s past visiting hours. Nothing is wrong is it?’
“No, Momma,” Lucille whispered we have something important for you to consider.
“First of all, how was the opera?” Momma said.
“It was gorgeous,” Minnie said.
“She means the baritone was gorgeous,” Lucille said.
“We’re both gonna marry him,” Minnie chuckled.
“Look, Momma,” Lucille said. “Here is his picture on the program.”
Momma held the picture near the light. “He is very handsome. I’d be proud to have him as a son-in-law even if he was married to both of you at the same time. That would mean only one extra setting at Thanksgiving.”
“Momma,” Lucille said. “Have you named our brother yet?”
“No,” Momma said.
“Now hold the program close to our brother,” Minnie said. “If they don’t resemble each other I don’t know who would.”
“Well they are both handsome,” Momma said.
“Please, please name our brother after our handsome opera singer,” Minnie pleaded.
Momma looked at the name on the program. “That’s a good strong name. Only a handsome boy should have that name. Yes, we’ll name him Byron Jackson.”
“Isn’t that a handsome name?” Minnie said.
“Names aren’t handsome,” Lucille corrected.
“This one is,” Minnie savored with her hands clutched to her heart.
Bloggers With Names
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- They call me The Nameless One | The Nameless One
- Daily prompt name | myguiltypleasures
- Bob Dylan or just Dylan? | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- daily prompt name, thea maria viveka | myguiltypleasures
- “Nanuschka” is not my real name | Nanuschka’s Blog
- !My name is Nadine | بيسان
- A Handsome Name | The Jittery Goat
- What’s in a name? | Right Down My Alley
- 706: Daily Prompt: Say your Name : “What’s in a Name?” | SEVEN Hundred 50
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | An Unlikely Gypsy…
- Daily Prompt: Say My Name, Say My Name | The Road to Published
- A man without a last name | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- My name is… | Sue’s Trifles
- My 1st Actually Response To The Daily Prompt | The Girl Who Can’t Write Good Names
- What’s In A Name? My name. | Things To Rave About
- Say my name, but in secret… (Daily Prompt) | The Rider
- What’s In A Name? | Tony’s Texts
- My Name is Nabila, Please Don’t Use It as Your Daughter’s Name | das Nicht-zuhause-sein
- More to the name… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Whits in a name? | Sanjuro Tokage’s Blog
- Het Zelf | Jeroen Mank
- Creatively Deprived Part Two | Self-Help for Creatively Deprived
- A girl with four names | Completely Disappear
- Matthew | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- What’s In a Name? | I Am An After School Special
- Identity crisis?! | Daily Prompt: Say your name | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Hi, I’m Amber. No, I’m Not a Stripper | Quill Takes Flight
- Daily Prompt: Say My Name | A Healthy Big Gurl
- Daily Prompt – Say your name | The numpty with a camera and a laptop
- Daily Prompt: All About A Name | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Kuruk the Bear | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | writinglikeastoner
- A Darla By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet | She’s a Maineiac
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt; Say Your Name | terry1954
- Morning Light |
- Daily Prompt: Say your Name | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- I Am | A Teacher’s Blog
- The Portents of a Name | Ate the Peach
- My Name Is . . . | A Short A Day
- Memo3 Stats , etc. (Opened May 26 , 2013 7:28 p.m. Hrs.) Interpol . . . Foreign Intelligence | jjmjmm1
- You Just Had To Go There, Didn’t You? | Donbury Pond
- The Story Behind My First Name | Jane’s Journal
- …but what will it be? | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name « Musings&Rants
- I’m kind of a big deal | hansolosvagina
- Say Your Name | Tessa Sheppard
- Well, why not? | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Musing Off the Mat
- Chipochashe: What’s In My Name? Too Much. | Mind My Mind But…
- My name | thelissachronicles
- THE UNCATEGORISED: DAILY PROMPT | SAY YOUR NAME | the TRASH BASH
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name — My name is Marilyn and I’m alive. | SERENDIPITY
- Would a Rose, By Any Other Name… | The Cranky Giraffe
- Game of names | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt – Say Your Name | Joe’s Musings
- Boy To Man | Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | mattsden101
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Pinay New Yorker
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Alastair’s Blog
- Things You Didn’t Think About | The Magic Black Book
- My Messed Up Name | Compass & Quill
- Nunya « Sorta-Ginger
- Adeline | Lost in Adeline’s
- You, or rather, me… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Talker Huge
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Edge of the Forest
- Daily Prompt: Tell Me Your Name | Morrighan’s Muse
- Originality is A Big Deal | certainly not my demise
- I have a dog’s name! | From Five to Fifty
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | study abroad adventure
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Moments Thru Lens
- Daily Post: My Name is Beautiful | Transitions in Time
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | The Blogging Path
- The Quiet One | What’s in a name?
- DIANA – means… | Prayers and Promises
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | MKG- Memories-Keepsakes-Gifts
- Susan…That’s Not My Name (ame, ame, ame) | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- Hagetha Speaks On: Names | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name/Tracing back roots | Following the trail of Ibn Battuta
- Nama | Christineaux
- Say Your Name: Schelley | What Is It?!?
- What’s in a Name? | draliman on life
- Daily Prompt: Say You Name | Alice, of course | Alice is Online
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Taking time, making time
- A “haram” name. | Je ne sais quoi
- Naming me | Giving Thought | Giving Sight
- Hello, My name is Easter « Overcoming to Becoming
- ‘What’s in [my] name?’ | sat n’ all that
- Linda | litebeing chronicles
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | The Tarot Alchemist
- Hello, Nice to Meet you | God Through My Green Eyes
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Say Your Name: Aileen | Khana’s Web
- Say my name, say my name | desabrat
- A Jake by any other name… | Jake Kuyser
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | The corner of my imagination
- Say my name, Bastian! | Sad Magic
- A Sam By Any Other Name | Sam’s Online Journal
- I define the name, it doesn’t define me. | EverMoreTheClever
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: Myrna | Warrior In Heels
- What’s In A Name?? | Life As I Know It
- The Right Nickname: I Keep On Searchin’ | Required Writing
- My Name Is… | It’s Mission Slimpossible!
- A Word About My Name | The Curse of Future Tom
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | New Lease–Same Hope
- Daily Prompt: My Name | cheerios for dinner
- A Wiley By Any Other Name | Wiley’s Wisdom
- What’s In My Name? | Writing The Girl
- What’s in a name? | AnxiousElephant
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | CARPENTER’S QUILL
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | A Small Press Life
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name / Haiku | damarisafari
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name – or something that vaguely resembles it | A Number of Things
- Welcome to a new friend: Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh –charlottesville winter | Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!
- V is for… |
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: Thanks to Lindsay Wagner | The Road 2 Cute Shoes
- Say My Name? If I must…. | theeldertreeblog
- Say My Name | Pinkpodster Ponders
- What’s In a Name? Learning to Be Sharon | Midlife Moments
- I’m Kassie, spelled with a “K” | The Oracle of Grooviness
- Say My Name | The Lessons of Chi
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: What’s in a Name anyway ? | Thoughts of a Lesser Canine