Fiction writers: You’re stuck in an elevator with an intriguing stranger. Write this scene.
We got on the elevator on the ground floor; a little man with greasy hair, horn rimmed glasses, pants pulled up just under his rib cage, and the belt dangling a foot beyond the buckle.
I punched floor twenty-two. He looked at me over the top of his glasses and did the same.
He moved next to me and said, “Do you know why there is no thirteenth floor.”
I looked at the numbers and sure enough, no thirteenth floor. “I never noticed that before.”
He cocked his head around in front of mine. “Don’t you want to know why?”
“Not really,” I said. “There’s little I can do about it at this point.”
He looked straight ahead as if looking beyond the doors. “It’s considered bad luck to have an elevator with a thirteenth floor.”
“That seems peculiar,” I said. “There really is a thirteenth floor.”
“No, look again,” he said pointing at the twelve and fourteen. “No thirteen.”
“So the fourteenth floor is actually the thirteenth?” I said.
“Now you did it,” he said.
“Did what?” I said.
“The elevator now knows the fourteenth floor is really the thirteenth,” he said.
“How can I be blamed when you’re the one who brought it up?” I countered.
“Brought up what?” he said as if it was the first time we spoke.
“The thirteenth floor!” I said
“You just can’t leave it alone can you?” he said.
We got to the twenty-second floor and exited the elevator.
“That was a smooth ride wasn’t it,” he said. “I noticed just a little jerk between eight and nine.”
“You seem to know a lot about elevators,” I said.
“I should,” he said. “I’m the inspector.”
Bloggers with elevated experiences:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- The Elevator Speech | Marriage in Limbo: The In-Between State
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Basically Beyond Basic
- Inside my Crazy head.. | amateurxpress
- The Daily Prompt: Elevator | Postcards from
- Years Apart | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- The Thirteenth Floor (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Elevators… | The Onlookers
- Daily Prompt: Elevator « Mama Bear Musings
- Listen to me? | thoughtsofrkh
- I’m Sorry | May Cause Irritation
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Of Glass & Paper
- A Day to Never Forget… | With Seasons Changes
- What A Stranger/Psychopath Taught Me [SHORT STORY] | Ramisa the Authoress
- How I Treated a Childhood Crush | Recis Dempayos
- Going Up? « The Robotic Hermit
- Stuck in a lift | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: The Elevator | Staying in Focus
- Peeing Yourself when Trapped in an Elevator | A Little Bit Stronger
- Stuck | Tony’s Texts
- Love. Life. | Doing Charity Work While Stuck in an Elevator
- The Elavator | TheLifeandTimesofaMom
- Elevator: Meeting Mrs Cocks | Khana’s Web
- Coming Together | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Dead Space | Daily Prompt: Elevator | mattsden101
- Long Thoughts in the Elevator | A Fanatic Novice
- Monologue | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Moments In Your Life
- Elevator | Michael Writes
- The Elevator Bear Hug | Donbury Pond
- 709: Daily Prompt : Elevator : “Forgiveness” | SEVEN Hundred 50
- Going Up? | Get Write Down To It
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Talker Huge
- Elevator | Tessa Sheppard
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | A Healthy Big Gurl
- Floor 13…Daily Prompt | Blame It On My Wild Heart
- Daily Prompt: The Elevator Episode | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | r | one studio architecture
- Daily Post Meets Write Now! 24 May 2013: I Met a Kind Stranger | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | In Love With The Lord Poetry and Prose
- Going Up… Or Not | The Office of Iguana Flats
- Can’t make this stuff up.. | Relax…
- Going Up? | hansolosvagina
- “DING,” screams the elevator as it screeches to | things change. people change.
- Daily Prompt: Married Once A Day (Short Story) | Creative Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | The Tarot Alchemist
- Love In An Elevator | A Sign Of Life
- Stuck in the Elevator with … ! (Daily Prompt) | The Rider
- Expectations | chynaontheemic
- The elevator | Vivir, que no es poco
- The Elevator Trap | The Curse of Future Tom
- Daily Riffed 2, Electric Boogaloo | A VERY STRANGE PLACE
- The Elevator Pitch – The Daily Prompt: Elevator | Momus News
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | A Western Buddhist’s Travels
- the UNCATEGORISED: Daily Prompt | Elevator | the TRASH BASH
- Daily Prompt: Elevator | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Monster | charlottesville winter
- The elevator’s song | From Five to Fifty
- New Assignment – Same Fear | New Lease–Same Hope
- Delivering Shadows – Daily Prompt | Edward Hotspur