Tell us about something you would attempt if you were guaranteed not to fail (and tell us why you haven’t tried it yet).
This sounds like one of those, “If it sounds to good to be true…”
Every endeavor is always at the expense of another. Everything has a price tag. And if not on the price tag there are hidden expenses.
The question of the Daily Prompt suggests what am I willing to sacrifice for the sake of a longing, perhaps a selfish one at that.
Yet, the Prompt suggests success. Success is at it’s best relative. Success is normally attained at the expense of others. “Move over and let the big dog have his bone.” Is that really what I want for myself.? “Your father has had a tough day so let him be for a while.” Do I want others to appease me and live according to my needs?
This Daily Prompt reminds me of the three temptations of Jesus in the wilderness by the Devil. The last of the three temptations was all the kingdoms of the world. Jesus was offered something in return for something. Many view this event only as a allegory, but wow! If so, what a powerful one.
He was guaranteed success, but at the expense of his personal integrity and to do something morally repugnant to him. All Jesus had to do was an act of worship. Not to live his life in the worship of the Devil, but just a momentary lapse. (Matthew 4: 1-11)
I think about that in relationship with what I write. If one were guaranteed fame and fortune to write a novel that challenges my personal values would I do it? To me the answer is no. Writing is a revealing as well as an examination of self. It is an opportunity to share your moral center, your core values.
I recall several years ago talking with a young writer. The writer said they could write and explore anything because of being a writer. To me that is like saying I have the right to kill with impunity because I own a gun, taken a course, and can shoot well.
Many writers agree “The pen is mightier than the sword.” Should it not be as tightly regulated, if not by government than by personal and moral regulation? Some writers become nothing more than good ole boys shootin’ tin cans on the back forty wearing camouflage, and dinking Bud Light.
Anyway, even if you fire a gun into the air for the mere pleasure of doing so, it has possible deadly consequences.
Guaranteed success for me is not worth the peril to others or lapse of my own moral conviction. There is always a price tag, handling fees, and other hidden charges.
Bloggers too big to fail:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Adventure of a Lifetime | vicariously in love with you
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail « Mama Bear Musings
- Inner Hotshot University! | Misifusa’s Blog
- Madness and Motherhood | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | suzie81’s Blog
- Dreaming Big | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | On My Front Porch
- Anything Guaranteed Is Not Appreciated – It Might Even Be Illegal | The Jittery Goat
- To sail the Seven Seas | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Too High | Flying On Empty Thoughts
- Too Big to Fail | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- I Spy With My Little Eye | HpWpBp
- Too big to fail | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | Of Glass & Paper
- Respone to Daily Prompt: Too Big to Fall | bullyingdontstandbystepup
- The Quiet One | Electric Viola Dreams
- Away from here… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Smile | One Man Versus the World
- Daily Prompt: Big Time | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Too Big to Fail | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Move Over Here I Come | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Quality of Life | Too Big to Fail | so i wrote
- Have We Lost The Sense of Adventure? | Donbury Pond
- Bigger than Life « Overcoming to Becoming
- Backpacking… | Haiku By Ku
- Too Big To Fail – The Best Movie of All Time | Khana’s Web
- Life – A Poem About Failure and Success | Cozy Compulsions @ Midnight
- Too big to fail. | artist. hippie. cali chick. chic. nerd. beach bum. fashionista.
- Too Big To Fail | The Nameless One
- Failure does not exist (but unicorns do) | The Small Girl Chronicles
- Just As I Am | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | moms to motorcycles
- I’d jump | Green and Ginger
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | The Tarot Alchemist
- Daily Post: Try, Try Again | A Sign Of Life
- True story… | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: Too Big To Fail | my stormless sky
- What would I do if I could not fail? | Lesie’s World
- If I Couldn’t Fail – Daily Post Response | Maggie’s Writing
- Daily Prompt: Too big to fail, a dream | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me