Today is Mother’s Day in the United States. Wherever in the world you are, write your mother a letter.
I’m not an observer or celebrator of Mother’s Day. Let’s be blunt; if one needs a reminder from a TV commercial, a greetings card company, florists, or The Country Buffet maybe things ain’t so good between you and Mom.
If I did something special for her on that day she would call me out on it. “Why can’t you be this nice to me all the time?”
I call her once a week. Sometimes she gets lost in her memories. She will confuse me with her brother who died over twenty years ago. We have the same first name.
I think a lot about Mom these days. She’s ninety-nine. Imagine that! She has outlived her husband, boyfriend, brothers, sister, all her cousins, friends, and two daughters. She’s buried I don’t know how many doctors that has told her to keep her cholesterol down and lose some weight.
She lived in a time before radio, TV, or any sort of communication as we know it today. Automobiles were rare. An airplane ride was a novelty. She was in high school when the Great Depression started. She was a part of that “greatest generation” where all work was honorable and to be on welfare or the public dole was a dishonor. If you didn’t have a job you looked until you found a job, any job.
Mom was a retail clerk, had a laundry route, managed retail stores, worked in factories, cleaned homes, washed dishes, tended bars, and waited tables.
She still lives on her own. She works crossword puzzles every day and still watches soap operas.
Nearly two years ago I posted stories about her for an entire year. They are under the “Mom” category of the right sidebar.
Mother of all bloggers:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Ilya Fostiy. A Toy | Bright Moments Catcher
- Ilya Fostiy. Amnesia | Bright Moments Catcher
- Ilya Fostiy. Remark | Bright Moments Catcher
- Daily Post: Hi, Mom! | Charles Ray’s Ramblings
- What Is It About Mothers? | Katherine’s Daughter
- Sun kissed, Life bound. | caffeinated sonnets
- May 12 Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | Nadeen’s Reading Corner
- Happy Mother’s Day: A Son’s Appreciation For Mom | Creative Mysteries
- DP – Hi, Mom! | Life With Pink Princesses
- Salamat Ma | Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | likereadingontrains
- Everyday Adventures | Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom!
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! « Mama Bear Musings
- My Mum (WordPress Daily Prompt) | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Happy Mother’s Day | An Unlikely Gypsy…
- My Mom Is 99; Top That! | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | JUkk
- The dirt beneath my feet (Daily Prompt) | liveuntil
- Dear Mum … | Purplesus’ Blog
- She Got It From Her Mama | That Girl Ryan
- 12.5 Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | family photos food & craft
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | suzie81’s Blog
- Mother’s Day – “A Day of Thank You(s)” | Living Life the DOitChoco Way
- A Message for A Special Lady | the world behind the lens
- Daily Prompt: Hi Mom | Postcards from
- To where you are | Relax…
- One Man Versus the Traditional Family | One Man Versus the World
- Happy Mother’s Day, Mama! | eagerexplorer
- Hi, Mom! | The Nameless One
- yes, Mom! wow, Mom! | irish noble king
- The Other Light: A Mother’s Day Story | theeyelife
- My Maamah | Hera Pereira
- Daily Prompt: Hi Mom! | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Hi, Mom! | Michael Writes
- Dear Mom, Can You Tell Me How You’ve Done It? « littlemisswordy
- mon travail | Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom!
- Six weeks in hospital | Scribbles by a hunglish girl 🙂
- World’s best Mama enjoy your day! | Pinkpodster Ponders
- Hello Mum | a weirder fetish
- Dear Mom | Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | Perfect Medium.
- Dear Mama… | Haiku By Ku
- Hi, Mom! | Life of a Minister Mom
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! 12th May 2013 | ittikorn1994
- Mother’s Day… | jaycee68
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | On My Front Porch
- My Mother: Daily Post Response | Maggie’s Writing
- I Wish You Were a Blogger | Virginia Views
- Mother’s Day 2013 Reflections | CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS
- Mother | FILMS | FOOD | POETRY
- Ma | FILMS | FOOD | POETRY
- Lydablogger | A Daughter’s Story
- My Best Mother’s Day…so far | Essence of Del
- To all moms: what your children mean to say on Mother’s Day | Moms Living Leaner
- WP Daily Prompt: Hi, Mom! | CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS
- Happy Mother’s Day, Mama | Pinay New Yorker
- An Open Letter to my Jehovah’s Witness Mom | Cozy Compulsions @ Midnight
- Mothers, Thank you. | theseeker
- A Mother’s Day Note | Colline’s Blog
- Happy Mother’s Day! (Comic) | Green Embers
- A Letter To My Mom | Little Red Jenn
- Daily Prompt: Happy Mother’s Day | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Dear Mom | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Unfinished — Short Story | I am a heathen.
- An Open Letter From Mom | Misifusa’s Blog
- Experiment. — Dear Mom: Motherhood is a Science and Patience is not a variable. | mommyverbs
- Stitching it together: a family art collection for Mother’s Day | caroline larnach
- DP Challenge – Hi, Mom | hometogo232
- This day I dedicate to mamma | MindBlur
- Mom’s Day! | Kaleidoscopic World in Words
- Daily Prompt: Hi, Mum! | The Tarot Alchemist
- Dear Mom | The Dodson Citizen
- Daily Prompt: Mommy | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt : worth a thousand words | The Road 2 Cute Shoes
- I forgive you… | The Local Lens
- Dear Mama | The Teen Theme
- Floral in Gray: Mother’s Day Rose | 2812 photography
- Mothers Day Tears | Sisters of Christ
- DEAR MOMMY…do you miss me? | Don’t Carry The Donkey!
- Daily Prompt: Hi Mom | Running After Ale
- The Woman in the Background | The Other Courtney