Language evolves. The meaning of a word can shift over time as we use it differently — think of “cool,” “heavy,” or even “literally.”
Today, give a word an evolutionary push: give a common word a new meaning, explain it to us, and use it in the title of your post.
We depend of words. Words bind human society and endeavors together. They are precious and yet the meanings change. The meanings are changed by people who don’t want to live a life of truth; “It depends on what the meaning of is is.”
When a person starts a statement with, “Honestly…” I know it’s going to be a lie. They have already said that everything preceding “Honestly” is suspect and now the truth. “Honestly” has become a useless word. It has been used so often by liars it has been cheapened to the point an honest man can’t use it anymore. It’s like at one time only tough guys wore tattoos. Now every punk with a credit card and deflated self worth has one. The tough guys don’t have them anymore. The want-a-be has saturated the market.
When a person starts a sentence with “Basically…” it means the same as “Honestly.” They are telling me the truth is somewhere in what is said, but you have to find it for yourself. When I hear the word “Basically” I think, “Oh crap, I got to do some digging.”
“Basically, what you have here is a good car.” That means a whole lot of other stuff is wrong with it. Six months and six thousand dollars later you come to find out that “basically” meant the tires were new.
The more one writes the more they experience the power of words, either to convey truth or deceive. Truth is conveyed in straightforward unambiguous words. Lies are prefaced with qualifiers and meaningless ramblings. They are like cheap floozies drenched in a quart of two-dollar perfume.
While I’m at it I get a little irritated with the WordPress spellcheck. They make me feel like I’m a misogynist, racists, homophobic, xenophobic, anti-Semitic, crude, insensitive, chauvinistic pig with their biased language police alert. Yeah, I meant floozies!
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Ilya Fostiy. Food of the Gods | Bright Moments Catcher
- That Literacy Slush Pile… | EW Brown
- Daily Prompt: Morphing [people voice] | Nadeen’s Reading Corner
- Daily Prompt: Swaggin has new meaning | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Morphing – Camouflage Morphing « Mama Bear Musings
- “Seaworthy!” | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: Morphing ~ You Have Been Paged! | Of Glass & Paper
- Is is Is | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Morphing | JUkk
- The New Gen’s Talk | the world behind the lens
- “Mental Illness” | PROOF OF GOD! …and other tragedies.
- Gallus! | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Morphed salad | Pigments of Life
- Menopausal Morphing | Honey Did you See that?
- Silly… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Woggle/ling | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Response to Daily Prompt: Morphing—Bully | bullyingdontstandbystepup
- Fight, a Whole New Meaning | Heather D. Roberts
- Define: Frown | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Morphing | Basically Beyond Basic
- Quite Literally | The Nameless One
- On Being Politically Correct | Cozy Compulsions @ Midnight
- Daily Prompt: The New Normal | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Morphing…SUP? | A Glimps of HOPE
- Daily Prompt: Morphing | On My Front Porch
- Blagging; For Starts « Overcoming to Becoming
- Daily Prompt: Morphing/Poppin Tags… | Musings&Rants
- Morphing language is so fetch! | Pinkpodster Ponders
- Daily Prompt: Free | Cytherean Dreams
- Off the record | Spunky Wayfarer
- What’s the Ask Again? | The Write Geek
- Daily Prompt: Morphing Spears | Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt: Morphing | The Tarot Alchemist
- Daily Prompt: Morphing / N’uch or Nuch | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Blog Morphing For Hire | The Curse of Future Tom