I didn’t receive my Daily Prompt by email today so this was posted instead. Upon checking my reader I discovered there was indeed a prompt, so deal with it!
I think by now we have been fully indoctrinated by “political correctness” or see right through it.
I’m not certain it has made the world or society a better place. It just allows us to go around and lead a shallow veneer life.
A stewardess on a plane has now become a flight attendant. I still use stewardess at the risk of being tossed from the flight, cavity searched, or coffee dumped in my lap.
I don’t want to offend anyone by a misnaming them. I was with a friend the other day and we met a person. My friend asked if they were native? I thought that was a dignified way to address the subject. I have a friend from India. He is Indian. I don’t think this is as much political correctness as it is being accurate.
Technically everyone born north of the Isthmus of Panama is an American. They were born in North America. Yet for the sake of clarity and tradition we dispense with technicalities.
Near the time when politically correct definitions were becoming new and vogue. (People at that time went around as if to say, ‘did you notice I said chair person and not chairman.’) I had and encounter with a female policeman (that just irritates some). My car threw a timing belt and I was stuck at an intersection. I exited the car and looked under the hood. I really don’t know why, but I did.
A female policeman drove up and rolled down her window. “Hey buddy,” she said gruffly. “You can’t leave your car in the intersection or I’ll have it towed away.”
At this point in my life I’m not yet a crotchety geezer. I walked toward her car and stooped down to see into her window. “Sir, my name is not buddy.”
“Just move the car,” she said and drove away.
Well I pushed the car to a full-service gas station on the corner and that was that.
Her rudeness bothered me. She works for the community and me.
I called the chief of police. While telling my story he continued to correct my use of the term policeman with, “Police officer is the term we’re using.”
After the third correction I said, “Well, she looked like a man and talked like a man.”
Yes that was insensitive, but I just got done paying for a costly repair to my car and my back ached from shoving the piece of crap across an intersection.
And there’s one more thing that hacks me off, the spell-check on WordPress; it has a built-in PC gotcha bias language alarm. It won’t even allow me to say chairman (chair), or policeman (officer, police officer).
Why can’t I be left alone? Everybody knows what I mean. I feel as though I’m in a fight to preserve a native language that’s about to perish.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Weekly Photo Challenge ABOVE | 2013 Weekly Photo Challenge Blog
- Imagining the author | idiotisms
- May 4 Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Nadeen’s Corner
- Not the Boy Who Cried Wolf | Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text, World « Mama Bear Musings
- 6 The Big News: DPChallenge | Sofie’s Diary
- Netizen/Citizen | Sofistikeyted
- Ghost in the Machine | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Let’s talk | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: it’s A Text, Text, Text World | Morrighan’s Muse
- A bumpy ride on the communication see-saw | Formally known as Verity
- Daily Prompt: Communicating in Cyber World | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Communicating in Cyber World « My Blog portions
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | On My Front Porch
- Teenage Techie | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- Weekly Photo Challenge: From Above – MY WORLD | my cyber house rules
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | I really just pretend to know stuff
- My Inner Thoughts | The Bottom of a Bottle
- It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | The Nameless One
- Impress me with Honesty | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: “It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World” | Sparkly Me
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | The corner of my imagination
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | An Unlikely Gypsy…