You receive a call from someone an unexpected person. Who is it, and what is the conversation about? Go!
I think about people in my past. There are things recalled with clarity about them; little stories, impressions they left with me, things they said, and things they did.
There is this desire in me to talk to them no matter how far in my past they are.
A few years ago I was shopping in a store thirty miles from home. I saw another guy shopping. I immediately knew who he was. It had been over forty years (third grade) since I last talked to him. We were buddies back then.
I approached him in a way as if he only looked familiar and innocently connected the dots for him though a series of questions. He looked at me and smiled. “You’re ole man owned the bar, right?” He remembered. It was good to see him, talk to him, and shake his hand. In a few moments we filled each other in on our lives and recalled names not uttered in decades.
This has led to disappointment too. Sometimes a person has no clue who I am or only vaguely recalls me.
Two years ago I obtained the number of a boy from the fourth and fifth grade. I called him. He remembered me and we talked a few times by phone. It was sad to hear the tragedy his family experienced after we parted, but gratifying to know he was in good spirits and had a good and productive life.
Its puzzling why I like doing that. I’m convinced there is something wrong with me. Do I have unresolved issues? In my mind, I just want people to know they are remembered and mattered to me. Or maybe it’s affirmation that is being looked for that I am remembered and mattered to them.
Recently I thought about a guy that was in the service with me. He has the the same name as a famous producer (not Spielberg). I Googled his name (not Spielberg’s). That led me to a lawyer in a law firm. His military service in his bio matched. For a couple of days I struggled with the thought of calling him. Finally I called and we had a fun conversation. He thanked me for remembering him and helping him recall some good times and old names.
There is another call I’ve thought about making; it is to my bunkmate from basic training. I found his number. I’ve had it for a couple of years, but I don’t call. There is within me a certain fear of not being remembered.
This leads to a sadness often considered; a phone that doesn’t ring. There are phone calls I long for, but fear will never happen. If that phone call comes it will be greeted with tears.
Bloggers with a calling:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Ilya Fostiy. Amnesia | Inside My Glitching Mind
- The Call | Catherine Louise Gurganus
- Daily Prompt: Hubby & The Telemarketer | My Daily Prompt Blog
- We Haven’t Been Communicating | Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | Dianaruth’s Journal
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | JUkk
- Wrong number | Spunky Wayfarer
- Why can I just not let it ring… | thoughtsofrkh
- A Call from The Past | بيسان
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller, Hello Linda, its me, God! | Lines by Linda
- Ignoring the Call | The Local Lens
- An unexpected call | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Knock-Knock-Knock | Very Very
- Can You Hear Me? | Mind of a Mouse
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller 17th April, 2013 | ittikorn1994
- The ‘Unknown’ Caller | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller (CENTURY POST) | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | HpWpBp
- Kind of Greedy | Kind of a Bum
- A Phone Call | Just James
- Unknown Caller | Just James
- 36. The Painting Party | Sofie’s Diary
- Dial 800-TAMPON (Or When A Psycho Calls) | All Those Small Things
- Jetlagged and then the phone rings | DP : Unknown Caller | Kaleidoscopic World in Words
- Confused caller..?? | amateurxpress
- The closest call of all | Prompt Queen
- A Miracle Occurred…. | Not The Sword But The Pen
- Phone Calls: Unexpected Caller, Ringing and Unknown Numbers | Wise Counsel
- Edgledge’s Ramblings
- The ‘UNKNOWN’ angel (DAILY PROMPT: UNKNOWN CALLER) | liveuntil
- Just Listen | The Teen Theme
- Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | Brian Mok
- Daily Prompt: Hello, is that you? | Reviewer Rose
- New Opportunity-Same Response Daily Prompt: Unknown Caller | New Lease–Same Hope