How are you more likely to make an important decision — by reasoning through it, or by going with your gut?
Chad and Todd was looking for another partner and someone to share the work load of their real estate investment firm.
“I’ve got a funny feeling about this one,” Chad said.
“Funning feeling,” Todd said. “What do you mean?”
“You know,” Chad said. “A gut feeling.”
“Are you saying we should back out based on a gut feeling?” Todd said.
“Yeah,” Chad said. “It doesn’t feel right.”
“Look, we don’t invest based on how our gut feels,” Todd said.
“His smile,” Chad said. “It seemed like he was straining.”
“His smile!” Todd said. “You’re basing it on his smile?”
“Do you remember Mousey Vaughn?” Chad said.
“Yeah,” Todd said. “The guy who stiffed us for twelve hundred.”
“Same smile,” Chad said. “And when he answered his cell, the smile folded up like a cheap lawn chair.”
“So the guy don’t have a natural smile,” Todd said. “That doesn’t make him a crook.”
“His hand shake,” Chad said. “Limp and cold, like shaking hands with a corpse.”
“Maybe the guy had a wrist or hand injury,” Todd said.
“No wedding band,” Chad said.
“How do you know he‘s married?” Todd said.
“He said the phone call was from his wife,” Chad said. “No band and you don’t smile when your wife calls, there may be a problem.”
“You a marriage counselor now?” Todd said.
“No,” Chad said. “If he doesn’t wear…”
“Maybe he’s allergic,” Todd said.
“Or maybe he’s untruthful,” Chad said. “When he was on the phone we couldn’t here what he was talking about, but he was slumped down and almost appeared angry.”
“Hey, who hasn’t been upset with their wife?” Todd said.
“Not in front of people,” Chad said. “Especially people you want to impress.”
“Anything else?” Todd said.
“When he pulled into a parking space out front, he seemed irritated that some old lady got the spot before he did,” Chad said.
“Yeah,” Todd said. “And at the door he didn’t hold the door open for her. I thought that was strange and rude.”
“Something just isn’t right,” Chad said. “It’s just a gut feeling.”
It mttaers lttile waht oredr ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
We know when something is wrong. Our gut tells us it is. In the above paragraph it’s based on seeing a word spelled correctly thousands of times. When the interior letters are jumbled the word can not be pronounced as it is assembled. You must first learn the right way.
Our gut can tell us there is something wrong based upon previous experience and reasoning.
Note how the Bible comments on this in a practical way at Hebrews 5:14, “But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong.”
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- My short story “New Life” (in Russian) published in “Belgorod Business Class” magazine (first number) | Inside My Glitching Mind
- Recipe for decision making | Right Down My Alley
- Global in Perspective | Never Stationary
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions, How are they Made? | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | C Tonight
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions « Mama Bear Musings
- Decisions decisions… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | Pride in Madness
- Transitioning: from reason to gut … | The Psychic Diary
- Decisions, Decisions | Sweet and Twenty Snark Hunt
- Aside 24: Decisions, Decisions | Excerpts from the Life of RDZ
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | JUkk
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | melodic feels
- Committed to non-commitment | Very Very
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Decisions, Decisions | Tony’s Texts
- Decisions, Decisions | History & Wine
- “Right, I’ll go left, right!” | Prompt Queen
- Always was a rebel!!! | My life! My Way!
- Indecisive As Always | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Daily Prompt: I Have A Decision To Make | Creative Mysteries
- I used to be indecisive, not I’m not so sure… | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Decisions… | Haiku By Ku
- What to Study? | amateurxpress
- To be or not to be…. | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions and Imperfection – My Instincts! | My.Vivid.Visions
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions: Doing It Libra Style | Reviewer Rose
- April 12 Decision Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | Nadeen’s Corner
- More is lost by indecision than by wrong ones. | The Nameless One
- Decisions, Decisions… | jaycee68
- Impromptu? Err… | Moupinion
- Decisions, Decisions, Decisions | Not The Sword But The Pen
- Parking Lot Tuna | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily Prompt: Decisions, Decisions | My Atheist Blog
- Hasty Words | Mind of a Mouse