For many of us, winter is blooming into spring, or fall hardening into winter. Which season do you most look forward to?
The earth is so ingratiatingly beautiful. It is no wonder that all those space aliens from those 50s B movies wanted to come and conquer and colonize the earth. There is not another planet like it. It stands beautifully and resplendently unique.
If that in itself is not enough, it changes costumes as it were; at least for those who live in climates that have distinctive seasons.
Several years ago a friend from Nigeria said, “Oh yes, we have two seasons, wet and dry.” He was struck in awe of the change and diversity of seasons offered by the Midwest.
I have grown to love, appreciate, and celebrate the advent of each new season, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. Each has its own special way of treating your senses to delights often passed over and taken for granted.
Fall is my choice. My wife and I spent three falls in Massachusetts early in our marriage. That time holds a special fondness for us. The fall there overwhelmed us. We ventured long drives down back roads and into small communities like Concord, Pepperal, Groton, and Littleton. The beauty of a crimson and yellow leaves is far better than what I could possibly describe.
At our last home in Ohio two maples, red and yellow, stood in our front yard. Our bedroom had a balcony facing the front yard. On crisp mornings I sat on the balcony with a coffee and the leaves were so bright you could almost feel the warmth from their glow.
Nearly five years ago my wife and I moved to Boise, Idaho. There was a certain dread that disappointment was about to come our way when the fall arrived. September was hot with no signs of what we had been accustomed.
Southwestern Idaho is just like northeastern Nevada. It’s dry with few trees. Boise is the exception. Trees thrive off the region that lies on both sides of the Boise River.
Normally colors in the East and Midwest are at peak vibrancy for about a week. I speculated in Boise there would be no sharp and vibrant colors. Was I ever surprised! The falls in Boise are incredibly bright. There are neighborhoods in and near downtown Boise that have the feel of the East coast. The most satisfying part of the falls in Boise is its length; red and yellow maples will hold their color for at least three weeks of more.
The things I miss the most about the East and Midwest are available to me in Boise, but several times over, but I still miss them.
Bloggers for all seasons:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- My story collection Platypus | Best Adventures of Bzebza, the Bodacious Beetle
- The Cold Season | Death By Any Other Name
- The winter blues | Right Down My Alley
- April Is Not The Cruelest Month | Tony’s Texts
- 8|4 Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Family Photos Food & Craft
- Ah the joys of the mildly tepid days of summer… | thoughtsofrkh
- By George… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | JUkk
- In Love with Autumn | بيسان
- Life in transition | Polyprotic Amory
- April Showers and March Flowers | Sounding Board
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn, Please! | Reviewer Rose
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn 8th, April 2013 | ittikorn1994
- A child for all seasons | Prompt Queen
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Of Glass & Paper
- All the lovely colors | Spunky Wayfarer
- No Such Thing as a Cold Season | Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Dianaruth’s Journal
- T’is the season … to appreciate everything awesome | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: Turning of the Seasons | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Fall is definitely my favorite! | EMBRACE YOU
- Every Season Is Different | Angel Frouk
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Ode to Falling Joy | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Completely Disappear
- Spring… | Haiku By Ku
- And the Season Turns – What’s Your Favorite Season? | Stuphblog
- Daily Prompt: Spring Is The New Beginning | Creative Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Summer Opportunities | C Tonight
- Spring Forward and Falling Back | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Turn, turn, turn | thelissachronicles
- Simply Radishing | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | My Atheist Blog
- Where is Winter? | The Nameless One
- The Quiet One | Spring has sprung
- Winter | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- hmm, talking about the weather today are we? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones
- a Change of Season. | jaycee68
- C’mon let’s plunge again, like we did last summer. | Jill-of-all-Trades
- A spring in my step | Pen Kisses Paper
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | cognitive reflection
- Gloriously Autumnal | Forever Autumn
- A man for all seasons. | paul scribbles
- Turn, Turn, Turn. A New Season. | pandora’s island 2
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | A Western Buddhist’s Travels
- Weather? Whatever. « Sorta-Ginger
- The Right Time | Prayers and Promises
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | ღ Blank Doodles ღ
- Winter is coming…but in awhile | Moupinion
- Seasons | My thought exactly…!
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | The Dork Life
- I will miss winter because … | Pigments of Life
- The weather is still | March of the Gypsies
- Daily prompt: turn, turn, turn | Zimmerbitch: age is just a (biggish) number
- Valley of the Sun | The House of O
- Turn, turn, turn | 365 wings of hope
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Moonlight Reflections
- Daily Prompt: 4/8/13 | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
- I give you Spring! | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Waiting For Forever | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness