Describe an item you were incredibly attached to as a child. What became of it?
Admittedly I have an attachment to things; small things that remind me of the past.
My Dad bought a glove for me when it looked as if there was a good chance for me to start at shortstop on my little league baseball team. A couple of years later he bought a first baseman’s mitt for me. I still have them. It’s a reminder of hot sunny days on dusty diamonds as a kid and being my Dad’s pride.
I write on the desk my mother bought as a gift on my fourteenth birthday. A matching bookcase came with it. I have another blog which isn’t used often. It’s called My Old Brown Desk.
A year before purchasing the desk and bookcase Mom and Dad purchased a set of World Book Encyclopedias. Mom and Dad thought my grades would improve. They didn’t, but they opened up a world of wonder and knowledge. Those encyclopedias were stored for a while in a damp place and took on mold. They had to be destroyed.
It reminds me of a Midwest farm house bedroom in which the desk and bookcase rested. I tried studying, but was seduced by my imagination to wander through the encyclopedias and read about places far from the farm fields of northwest Ohio.
When sixteen I saved my money from bailing hay on nearby farms and bought my school cloths. My favorite item was a green Jantzen sweater. I slip it on nearly every day. I have another blog that features only short stories. It is named My Old Green Sweater.
Each item represents a gift from the people most dear to me when growing up. They were gifts with good motives and pure hearts. Lastly was a gift purchased by myself to myself. I think sometimes that is important; buy something for just you. It’s not selfish or egotistical, just make it meaningful and memorable.
I’m not incredibly attached to those things; only the memories they beckon; Dad watching me play ball, Mom watching me study, and my first day at school wearing that sweater – I thought I was cool!
Other possesive bloggers:
- Ilya Fostiy. Clone | Inside My Schizophrenic Mind
- Prized Possession – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | pandora’s island 2
- You’re the Beary Best! | Misifusa’s Blog
- 57/365 – childhood attachment | Camera Girl
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | To Name a Few | Loading…
- Books of my grandfather, or what you need French for | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Puff, the Magic Turtle | Conversations
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | The Gozum Show
- Step aside Blankie… | thoughtsofrkh
- Ever decreasing comforter (Daily Prompt) | Prompt Queen
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | Alex Hurst
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | The Dork Life
- The Pendleton | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession — Annabelle | SERENDIPITY
- Anne | Hope* the happy hugger
- My most prized, loved possessions. | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Waiting Upon My Every Move | Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | JUkk
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession « Mama Bear Musings
- My Most Prized Possession | Chatter From a Single Mom
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession 2nd April, 2013 | ittikorn1994
- You’re Too Slow! A Story About My Experience With the Sonic Games | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Evoking Nostalgia | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Humpty Dumpty is Starting to Smell . . . | Pondering Spawned
- Purple Bear… | Haiku By Ku
- My Jassem Doll | das Nicht-zuhause-sein
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Rolling stone.. | Head full of Fluff
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | baka’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Where Is It?! | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | Diary of Dennis
- Childhood Artifacts | Fish Of Gold
- Daily Prompt: Ringa Ringa Roses!! | it’s just abOut Me 🙂
- the blonde-haired girl with the longest legs | Pigments of Life
- Daily Prompt: It’s not as much fun to pick up the pieces | emma wolf
- The adventures of Zoe and Zelda | Five Uninterrupted Minutes
- My Childhood Friend | draliman on life
- Daily Prompt: Prized Possession | My Atheist Blog
- One Of The Sixty. | paul scribbles
- Michael Jackson and a Stuffed Platypus | History & Wine
- I’m not sure if I’d call it a possession…Daily Prompt | polysyllabic profundities
- My Prized Possession? | The Nameless One
- Prized Possession: A library filled with 66 books | Not The Sword But The Pen
- Daily Prompt: Baby Bottle | Lines by Linda