If you were to judge your favorite book by its cover, would you still read it?
When ever the expression is said ‘you can’t judge a book by its cover’ I normally follow it by saying, “Of course, that was first said when book covers were all alike.” The expression is akin to, ‘First impressions are the lasting impressions.’
The Daily Prompt has much deeper implications, more than books – people.
Not so long ago a friend and I stopped to get a coffee at a 7 – 11 (Yeah, we were that desperate.)
My friend owned a business that employed around forty people. It was a service type business. Many of his employees entered homes to do restoration work.
At the 7 – 11 a large man stood in line at the register in front of my friend. The man was muscular, had a beard, shaved head, tattoos, piecing in the ears and nose.
The large man turned around and said to my friend, “Didn’t you interview me for a job a couple of weeks ago.”
My friend smiled and said, “Yes, I remember you.”
“Why didn’t you hire me?”
“At the moment I can’t remember, but I’m sure there was a reason.”
My friend was smaller than the man who seemed to be trying to intimidate him. But my friend, in his younger days was completely immersed in the Kung Fu culture and had played parts in several movies. That didn’t make him a tough guy, but it wasn’t going to make him stammer and stutter either.
“Is it the way I look?” the man said.
“Well that might be one place to start,” my friend said.
“Can’t you judge people by who they are on the inside?” the man said.
“Think about this, sir,” my friend said. “You’re already telling me who you are.”
When we got to the car my friend said, “Let’s get out of here before he has time to think.”
In my view, if a book or a person wants me to judge by what is on the inside and not the cover, than the cover should reflect what is on the inside. What the cover looks like is likely what is on the inside. That is what the publisher is selling and that is what the person is telling us about who they are.
That said, and back to the prompt; I have commented on this book before. It was To Kill a Mockingbird. I recall on the front cover of the copy I purchased was a picture from the movie by the same name. The cover was Atticus talking to his daughter, Scout, before bedtime. I knew immediately all that was needed to know; a lesson being passed on to a child.
If for a moment there is the feeling of being seduced or hoodwinked by a title or a cover it’s rejected. A cover must do more than titillate me, it must touch my heart.
Other judgmental bloggers:
- Judgement Day – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Daily Prompt: Judgement Day | Ten Thousand Dancing Stars
- Daily Prompt: Judgement Day « Mama Bear Musings
- It’s the 21st Century: There Is No Excuse for A Bad Cover | Ramisa the Authoress
- Judgment Day | First Impressions and Eye-Catchers | Death By Any Other Name
- DP – Judgement Day | Life With Pink Princesses
- The Lights Are On | Conversations
- False Impression. | ayimas
- Never Judge a Book by its Cover | بيسان
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: Judging This Book By Its Cover… | Creative Mysteries
- Down here we all float… | thoughtsofrkh
- Why I Don’t Judge a Book By Its Cover | Stuphblog
- Wednesday Words – Judgment Day | Tommia’s Tablet
- Insist on Having Distinction | Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Judge Your Favorite Book By It’s Cover | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Twenties Girl | Ald+R
- Judging a book by it’s cover | The Nameless One
- Don’t judge a book by its cover | Little Things..シ
- Appearances Can Be Deceiving | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Another Teen Novel | Creative and Juicy
- Books Uncovered | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Is this counted as deja vu? | 祝福
- Can you judge a book by its cover? | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Cover Stories (Daily Prompt) | Prompt Queen
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | Reviewer Rose
- Daily Prompt: Judgement Day | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | The Blogging Path
- Judgement Day at the Bookstore | Breathing Space
- Don’t Judge Me! | theconsciouswriter
- When the book is closed, the story ended….. | To the future from the past
- Daily Prompt: Judge Not! | Not The Sword But The Pen
- Even authors judge books by their covers | The Flavored Word
- The Story of a Murderer | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | Moonlight Reflections
- I’m Making Happiness
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | I’m Making Happiness
- Daily Prompt: 3/27/13 | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
- My Life and Life of Pi: a.k.a. that book over there by the drinking fountain with the tiger on it | A Writer’s Touch
- Don’t Judge A Book By It’s Cover | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Daily Prompt: Judgment Day | A Western Buddhist’s Travels