Who’s the most important person in your life — and how would your day-to-day existence be different without them?
On my “About” page I take time to illustrate what motivates my writing. Without repeating myself it is forgiveness rather than exacting vengeance.
Before a study of the Bible forgiveness was to me nothing more than a positive character trait. With a study of the Bible I saw example after example of forgiveness in action under circumstances I had not ever explored. It challenged me to be more forgiving and compassionate toward others, even those who displayed outright hatred toward me. The Bible became like a compass to point me in the right direction and chart my course.
I came to see the God of the Bible as a real person, with feelings, personality, likes, dislikes, love, compassion, humor; all the things you want in a good friend. He lets you know where he stands and where you stand in your relationship. His name is Jehovah. He loves goodness and hates wickedness. His power is displayed in the mighty waves of the sea and gentleness in the drop of rain on a rose petal. That is the most important person in my life.
My wife has shown love and patience with me for nearly forty-seven years. She has been my loyal companion since we dated in high school. We have seldom been apart, but I remember those times when we did part; it was like removing my breath. I can be in an absolute terrible mood and her smile takes me from zero to happy in a flash. When she smiles I still see the teenage girl who accompanied me to the school prom and how she smiled tenderly when holding each of our children for the first time. I sometimes just like watching her. If we weren’t married I’d be her stalker.
My oldest daughter came along within the first year my wife and I were married. She’s been there in the worst of times. The times when there was a week left until the next pay-day and we literally had only a nickel to our names. She lives closest and is the one who now drops by to see us and call us everyday. She is cheerful, positive, never holds a grudge and never knows a stranger. I still see her as the little girl I held, saw off the school on her first day, and gave away as a bride.
My second daughter lives two thousand miles away. I miss our chats over coffee on cold winter days. She has an incredible capacity for listening and understanding. As a little girl she knew when I was serious and when I was teasing (well, not all the time).
My son lives twenty-five hundred miles away. He calls nearly everyday. He knows me better than anyone. He still asks me for advice. I like that. And I ask him too. He likes that. He is everything I could have ever wanted in a son. When we talk it’s like talking to an old buddy. If we were the same age, we would have been best friends from high school. We would have spent a lot of time in the office and detention, but absolutely loyal friends.
Without each I would have been aimless, shallow, and lonely.
More bloggers with VIP (Very Important Prompts):
- VIP – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Daily Post: VIP | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Fiery. | Share, My Dad Says.
- The V.I.P. Motel | The Chatter Blog
- Daily Prompt: VIP « Mama Bear Musings
- Very Important Primates | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- Little Constants in My Life | Daily Prompt: VIP | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: VIP | The Evolving Dad
- Daily Prompt – VIP | Joe’s Musings
- Daily Prompt: VIP | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- “Zenit” camera. First model, 1952. Seven images | Philosophy & Photography
- What makes one a VIP? | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: VIP | Moving Notion
- Daily Prompt: VIP My Husband | Lines by Linda
- I was Conned | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: VIP | My Atheist Blog
- After I Started Across the Street and Before My Head Was Smashed | This Is My Corn
- Daily Prompt: VIP | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt – VIP | Phillip McCollum
- Love of My Life,Don’t Leave Me…… | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- You is Important | Ald+R
- Father Figure | calliopes lyre
- VIP: My Very Important Person(s) | thelissachronicles
- With every breath… | sat n’ all that
- MY VIP : Daily Prompt: VIP | Kaleidoscopic World in Words
- Impossible Choice, You Can’t Make Me | Stuphblog
- TheDeafia | Daily Prompt: VIP
- Daily Prompt: VIP In My Life | My Blog
- I’m Not Going to Go There « Sorta-Ginger
- V.I.P. | Serious Reflections and Random Thoughts.
- Very Important Person Gratitude (Or just more than one) | Your Inner Feathers by Ruby
- And The Award For Favorite Goes To… | So I Went Undercover
- The Post That Almost Wasn’t – For Several Reasons | HonieBriggs
- Someone I Like to Talk To | – ellikitty –
- – ellikitty –
- Daily Prompt: VIP | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: VIP – My Husband | tirochelle