You wake up tomorrow morning to find all your plans have been cancelled for the next seven days and $10,000 on your dresser. Tell us about your week.
A number of years ago my family and I were backing out our drive. We noticed something laying in the street. Something that looked as though it did not belong there. You know, it didn’t look like a food wrapper, glove, or tennis shoe.
It was a check book.
We jotted down the name, address, and phone number on the front of the first check. We called the number. There was no answer. It was about six in the morning and we were planning on going out of town for the weekend.
We called our local police department and told them what we found. We agreed to leave the check book at the police station on our way out of town.
I suggested to my wife that no matter how honest we think the police are it would be well if we inventory the contents. There were twelve one hundred dollar bills behind the checks.
We asked the policeman for a receipt. Which he kindly arranged.
After we returned home a few days later we asked the police department if the check book and money had been claimed. The said it had. We verified it with the person whose name was on the check.
This Daily Prompt reminds me of that morning, perhaps thirty years ago.
If I found $10,000 on my dresser and no plans my reaction would be much the same. It is not my money. Somebody broke in. Obviously it was an intent to surprise someone. We have some very nice neighbors, up in age. Perhaps it was for them. I’d check with them. I’d check with the neighbors on the other side. I’d call my kids to make sure they hadn’t arranged a surprise. Once I would have exhausted all personal efforts inform the police.
Then with my week not being planned and nothing to do. I’d say ‘Forget the Daily Prompt; I got plenty to write about for the next seven days.”
Here are my posts:
1. What I just wrote.
2. The search for owner (hope it ain’t drug money).
3. How deserving I am of the money (Haha).
4. Plan on how to hide it from the IRS.
5. How I was going to spend the money.
6. How I would have actually spent the money.
7. How $10,000 doesn’t go as far as it used to.
Other bloggers with a seven day itch:
- Daily Post: Seven Days | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- A Week to Start Over. | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- A trip to the old world… | Q the Adult
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | بيسان
- A Fool And His Money… | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Write it Real
- Career Change? « Sorta-Ginger
- Seven Days | thelissachronicles
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | likereadingontrains
- Money | Renato Vasconcellos David
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Seven Days to Blow Dough | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Moving Notion
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Purple Rosemary
- Seven days worth of money? | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt – Seven Days | Joe’s Musings
- Temporary Insanity | F. scribbles
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days « Mama Bear Musings
- Dear Diary | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Oh, the places I’d go | thematticuskingdom
- DP: Seven Days | Life of Me and Mine
- Time, Money and Me | Pigments of Life
- 10 4 7 | theloneshewolf
- The Daily Prompt 35 | julianawoo47
- Seven Days and a Fistful of Dollars | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- On the run | Paul Scribbles
- The Week I Used $10,000 to Buy My Dreams | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Tomorrow When I Wake | SarahLee RegisteredNurse
- Sensible head takes over | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Post A Week: Seven Days Vacay | sketches and scribbles (reloaded)
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days Share it, Please | Lines by Linda
- 7 Days, 0 Luck | Stuphblog
- Simple Pleasures | Virginia Views
- Seven Days and $10k? New York, here I come! | thoughtsofrkh
- Seven days… | jaycee68
- …Chill… | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | My Atheist Blog
- Planning the Perfect Getaway | So I Went Undercover
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Kind of a Bum
- Writing Prompt: Seven Days | The Road to Published
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Reviewer Rose
- Seven Days: Daily Prompt | Bollywood Persephone
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | TheDeafia
- oh, the possibilities. | one small grain of sand.
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | nevercryoverspilledmilk
- Daily Prompt: Seven Days | Musical Foodie Love