Remember when you wrote down the first thought you had this morning? Great. Now write a post about it.
This past weekend I had a dream. I knew it was a dream. At the time the dream seemed like it fit well with a novel I’m writing.
As I laid there in my half-dream state particulars of the dream were reviewed. If it did not fit well in the novel, for certain, it was intriguing and complete enough to stand on its own as a short story – a really good short story, one that would surely appear in The New Yorker.
I began composing a letter to The New Yorker about my story. I began thinking of ways to use the fat check they would pay for the story. The story would fetch somewhere around $3,000, minimum.
I drifted back in the dream to converse with several of the characters in order to explore more deeply their motivations and thinking. And of course to have them grant me permission to use them in my short story or novel.
Laying there I began to marvel at the creative process. I thought of all the times trying to come up with an idea for a story and nothing came to me and here in a dream it merely passed under my nose. It was as easy as picking fruit.
Thoughts crossed my mind that perhaps I’d crossed some sort of threshold in creative genius, although I’d never heard of such an experience.
As the time approached for me to awaken certain elements of the story began to fade and had to be reeled in like hooking fish. Some elements swam away, but I was certain when at my computer with my coffee they could be captured and preserved in my hard-drive.
Soon I was completely awake. I laid their with only the outline of the story in my mind. I thought perhaps by sleeping for just a few moments more, elements of the dream could be retrieved. My eyes closed for a moment. They opened.
I made my coffee. I sat at my computer and said, “What was that dream? Where’s my check?”
More first light bloggers:
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Sound the alarm! | Q the Adult
- Daily Prompt: First Light | cognitive reflection
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- First light of the last days in Geneva | Mind Heart Journeys
- Daily Prompt: First Light | بيسان
- Daily Post: | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Taking A Dream To A Creative Work | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: First Light | nicksen
- Embracing Your Amateurity | Never Stationary
- Duly noted | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Completely Disappear
- The notepad | Paul Scribbles
- Today is… | Misifusa’s Blog
- Beep beep beep | theloneshewolf
- panic | thematticuskingdom
- Daily Prompt: First Light | From the C-Sweet
- My first thought this morning | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- DPChallenge: First thoughts, morning kiss | stuffy tales
- Daily Prompt – First Light | Joe’s Musings
- DPChallenge: Morning light, first kiss | Someday I Will Learn
- First Light | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: First Light « Mama Bear Musings
- Awake | Pigments of Life
- Daily Prompt: First Light 28th February 2013 | ittikorn1994
- First Light | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Home Alone | The Silver Lining of the Optimistic Pessimist
- Post a Week: Death to the Alarm Clock | sketches and scribbles (reloaded)
- Daily Prompt: First Light | A Hedonistic Wander
- You Don’t Understand, You Won’t Understand…… | So You Think You Can Think
- Daily Prompt: Morning Already? | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: First Light « TheDeafia
- In like a Lion | polysyllabic profundities
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Creative Escape
- First light! | I solemnly swear i am upto no good!
- Lost in the fog! | sat n’ all that
- First Light – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- First light kisses | My Pajama Days
- Spinning Strands at First Light | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Basically Beyond Basic
- Up Yours, Sunshine | So I Went Undercover
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Drops of Ink
- Ugh. Already? | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- Thursday Travels: More from the Glasgow Lakes Look-Off Trail | Life in the Bogs
- Breathe In, Breathe Out « Sorta-Ginger
- Daily Prompt: First Light | Tranquil Dreams
- Death by Paper « Sandra’s scribbles
- Daily Prompt: First Light | clgmusings
- For Your Consideration: The Daily Prompt: First Light! | Chicago Gore
- Passport to Reality… The right time. | Travel Making Kai🙂