(I must issue an apology. When I receive notice of the Daily Prompt it is 6:00 AM. I have only half a cup of coffee by then. I thought the prompt was “un-event”; referring to something that one might change in their life. Although it doesn’t now make a whole lot of sense, it did an hour ago. Nevertheless, here is my 6:00 AM version with the promise that I’ll read more carefully in the future. Here is my 7:00 AM version.)
If you could un-invent something, what would it be? Discuss why, potential repercussions, or a possible alternative.
The path a person takes sometimes comes down to split second decisions. ‘If I had not gone back to get my homework I would not have met the pretty girl who became my wife.’ Those sorts of things are the things that govern and make up our lives; a mishmash of random events that we try to bring to some sort order or rationalize.
Some things are more contemplative, yet based upon an attempt to navigate though a world full of chaotic events. Our life is like trying to drive a straight line from New York to Los Angles without hitting a tree.
At times we wonder what event could I have changed if I had to power to do so? Of course the problem is that we may have to forfeit a whole range of good things that came our way to accommodate that elusive one.
As for myself I’m not willing to change one event in order to change all other good things in my life; my wife, my daughters, my son, my grandchildren, my friends. In fact I even like the enemies I have. I don’t think I would want them as friends under the best of circumstances.
Yet, there is that one black mark I wish to change without altering the rest of my life; I flunked the fifth grade. Some like to say ‘repeated’ or some other kind word, but it was flunked.
I lost a whole set of friends. Sure I got new ones and my life was enriched in many ways as a result, but I didn’t want new ones.
I feel a sense of obligation to tell people who are my age why I didn’t graduate from high school the same year they did. There is always that sinking feeling of rejection and inferiority. It is like warning them ‘you can do better than having me as a friend.’
In spite of the fact of that scarlet “F” on my chest there is the constant assurance from family and friends who love me not for what I want to be but for who I am. That trumps any feelings of the lack of self-worth inflicted upon myself.
Life is wonderfully random. It’s like that box of chocolates Forrest Gump spoke about. “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
More blogs about undos:
- Undo – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Undo « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Post: Undo | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Control Z Uggs, Please « Q the Adult
- Daily Prompt: Undo … Speed Cameras | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- Ilya Fostiy. Is There a God? | Philosophy & Photography
- Chocolates, Anyone | The Jittery Goat
- Un-invent…hatred, violence, weapons … | Hope* the happy hugger
- Delete and undo « Spunky Wayfarer
- Udo – The Facebook Ad Excess | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Let’s Try This Again… « Sorta-Ginger
- So Long, Money « Stuphblog
- imagine… | thematticuskingdom
- Root of All Evil | Chasing The Bubble
- Daily Prompt – Undo OR The Right To Live | Beyond Beauty Tips
- The courage to say No | Pigments of Life
- There’s No Place To Hide, Get Lost, Scratch, Or Pick Anymore | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Undo | بيسان
- Daily Prompt: Undo Fast Food Restaurants « DiaryCube
- A World Set to Zero | Liquid Matthew’s Development Blog
- Joe’s Musings
- Undo. | jaycee68
- Daily Prompt: Undo, Engines, Indeed. « Lines by Linda
- Deep Thought « theloneshewolf
- Daily Prompt: Undo « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Undo | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: Undo – Weaponry | salman’s blog
- Undo the Captcha | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- CTRL + Z | The Nameless One
- DP: Undo « Life of Me and Mine
- Post a Week: Undo | sketches and scribbles (reloaded)
- Undo, erase, delete « thelissachronicles
- Daily Prompt: Undo | Waggingmytale’s Blog
- 5 Things I Would UNinvent « Cheri Speak
- Un-invent the DSM | mycookinglifebypatty
- Undo Your Bra | Fish Of Gold
- Should We Uninvent All This Technology? | Not the Family Business!
- Being super (Part three) « Master Of Disaster
- I am So Glad I Didn’t Think of That! « So I Went Undercover
- DaIlY pRoMpT: UNDO! | Chicago Gore
- Daily Prompt: Undo the doubt « Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- What I would un-invent | Blog of The Imaginator
- Daily Prompt: Undo – Smash the Clock! | a day with depression
- (28DW) Undo: Microwave Oven | SudoOne
- Can you juice a mood swing? | rarasaur
- It Ruins My Day Every Day | – ellikitty –
- DPChallenge: Uninventing Disney😄 | The Stuffy Opinion
- Daily Prompt: Undo | tirochelle
- An Alternative to Reality | My Mind-Grapes