Describe the last nightmare you remember having. What do you think it meant?
When eighteen year old in the early spring I was driving home one Sunday evening from my girlfriend’s home. It was about 9;45 PM. The rain was coming down so hard that my car’s windshield wipers were unable to keep up. The wind was incredibly strong, at times it felt as if my care was being lifted from the road. The sound I heard from the wind reminded me of huge generator or a train.
I tried to dial a local radio station. It was near impossible to hear anything. The lightening in the atmosphere was so immense and frequent all that I really heard was a constant and persistent crackle. What was heard was a local radio program entitled Symphonic Variations; nothing about bad weather.
I made it home and told Mom and Dad how bad it was. They told me there were tornado warnings issued and they worried.
The daytime revealed devastation from a tornado. School was concealed. All high school kids were encouraged to comb the tornadoes path and look for objects of value and return them to the owners. It was rumored a baby was missing. My buddy. Don and I found what we thought to be an infant face down in a creek. It turned out to be a toy doll.
Particularly ominous and disturbing I was probably only a hundred yards or so from the tornado, but unable to see it. From that day onward tornadoes have always had a chilling affect.
Not often, perhaps once a year, I have the dream. A dream of a tornado. It is so real that I awaken breathing heavy. Two nights ago I had ‘the dream.’ My family was young again. We lived in a farm-house in rural north/west Ohio. I was able to get my family safely to the basement as we watched it pass and destroy everything in its path.
Like a tornado all conditions must come together at the same time; a cool air mass from the north with a warm humid air mass from the south. With my ’tornado dream’ there must be a recent report of a tornado and a longing for days so intense from the time when all the protection in the world my children needed was in my arms.
I’ve seen movies that feature tornadoes. Nothing is meant to be more frightening than Twister, but to me it’s not. As much as the director, actors, and special effects people try, it doesn’t come close to matching the tornado scene in the Wizard of Oz. Tornadoes are surreal. For a split moment you think you are in a dream.
In ‘the dream’ I always make it to safety, but just in the nick of time. I suppose because the reality of a tornado is dream-like that the dream becomes life-like.
What does ‘the tornado dream’ mean? It means very simply I fear tornadoes and want to still protect my family.
Other Nightmare Posts
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares | The Gozum Show
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « cognitive reflection
- The world is infinitely stranger than anything the mind of man can invent… « Q the Adult
- Daily Prompt:Eaten By Lions « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares | My Overactive Dreams | Loading…
- Human rights abuses in mental health facilities « Mind Heart Journeys
- DP: Nightmares – that kill « A Blog’s Life
- Nightmares – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
- Daily Prompt: No Nightmares Here Anymore | My Blog
- Daily Post: Nightmares | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Mind of a Mouse
- The Shrink | Mind of a Mouse
- !Nightmares | بيسان
- In my dreams | Angel Frouk
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « DiaryCube
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares 19th February 2013 « ittikorn1994
- “EXTER-MI-NAAATE!” « Sandra’s scribbles
- I Live In Oz, But Visit Kansas For My Dreams | The Jittery Goat
- Nightmare « amateurxpress
- what does it mean? | thematticuskingdom
- The Story of a Recurring Nightmare | Beyond Beauty Tips
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Gah! | One for the Big Guy.. sometimes.
- Never ending stream of pee and other nightmares that I’ll never forget | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- DREAM ASYLUM ANALYSIS « hastywords
- Deep Blues | Pondering Spawned
- Boo! | Chasing The Bubble
- Three Haunting Recurring Nightmares – What Do They Mean? | steph’s scribe
- When Dreams and Reality Collide | Sorta Ginger: Ramblings of a Quasi-Redhead
- Nightmare. | ayimas
- Daily Prompts: When nightmares echo reality. | Multifarious meanderings
- Dreamscapes and Nightmares | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares, I Haven’t Had Any « A YoungEmt’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares and Desperation | Creative Mysteries
- Stop Using My Air! | Shadoza: In My World
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares | Waggingmytale’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Nightmare -.- « it’s just abOut Me 🙂
- Nightmares « thelissachronicles
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Nightmares | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « baka’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « Bipolar For Life
- Steel Walls and Rivets « Cheri Speak
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares | The Blogging Path
- DP: Nightmares « Life of Me and Mine
- PAD: Nightmares «
- Run you little, fxxk, RUN! « thoughtsofrkh
- The Recurring Nightmare | In My Mother’s Mind
- Nightmares « So I Went Undercover
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares – oh yes, I remember this one! « From the C-Sweet
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « Mama Bear Musings
- Godzilla « theloneshewolf
- I Dream in Epic Adventures, Not Nightmares | ARay of Sunshine
- Nightmares | A Sign Of Life
- Storm’s coming « Confessions Of A Drow
- Nightmares « Things I See and Know
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares … what’s it got to do with a female horse? | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- The Opposite of Dreams | thebayarean
- Daily Prompt: Nightmares « motherofnine9