The New York Times is going to feature your blog on its home page, and you’ve been asked to publish a new post — it’ll be the first thing tens of thousands of new readers see. Write it.
There is something peculiar about the Boise weathermen on TV. They stay the same from day to day. I think they start in early June and replay the same tape over and over again. There is hardly any variation in the weather.
One day I was watching the weatherman on TV. I immediately got in my car. No more than a half-mile from my home I saw a homeless guy on the street corner that looked exactly like the weatherman; the same smile, sport jacket (a little tattered), and holding a sign, “Will do yard work, magic tricks, and predict weather for food.”
The forecast is always the same: “The high today will be in the upper nineties with a possibility of triple digits by the end of the day. There’s a chance of rain coming through the valley, but that won’t cool things down much. Look for a cool down (95) before the weekend, but warming again for the Saturday and Sunday.”
Once a month they take a thin sheet of steel and flex it just so people will know how thunder sounds. Somebody stands over them with a watering can drenching them with water so people will know to associate rain with thunder. It’s remarkable how quickly you forget those things. If not for the weather man saying so, I’d leave the house every time without an umbrella.
The weathermen play this percentage game with us: “Tomorrow rain! There is a 30% chance of rain.” That means there is a 70% it won’t! I measure their sincerity by whether they tell me to take my umbrella with me.
People drive to Seattle for the weather.
In fact, if not for the grass and forest fires and pollution we wouldn’t have any weather at all in Boise.