(The Daily Prompt is a writing exercise sponsored by WordPress in which I participate. Each day a writer is given subject to write about.)
Are you a sports fan? Tell us about fandom. If you’re not, tell us why not.
The first writing for any sort of audience was sports in a high school newspaper. In fact I came to appreciate sport’s writers were often the best writers in newsprint. It was their job to bring the fan from a bamboo beech house cooled by ocean breezes to the “the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.”
Part of my blogging is about Boise State football.
When I moved to Boise in ‘08 I was hooked and drawn into a city that clothes itself in dark blue and orange. In the fall Wal-Mart plays a continual stream of one of Boise State’s great games from the past on a 60’ flat-screen next to a display of Boise State hats, sweatshirts, and underwear.
Writing about Boise State, although highly successful, is like writing for the consummate underdog. It’s like defending the client nobody believes.
There is this magical almost hypnotic aroma about Boise that bolsters the spirit. They take players overlooked by major college programs. The player works on his skills harder than the guys that received scholarships to larger and more prominent colleges and programs and finally receives the recognition he deserves. The list of players who were overlooked by other colleges and went to Boise State to perform at the highest possible level is staggering.
Boise State fans are young, savvy, and passionate. Yet, they are not brutal, rude, or mean-spirited to opposing fans.
They don’t have a win-at-all-cost mindset. If a player, even a key player, violates a team rule he is suspended - even it happens to be a key game. There are no exceptions. That makes Boise State special. That makes them worth writing about.
As a writer I want to see good and write about it. I sometimes see myself drifting into the negative and hypocritical attitudes and actions of the world we live in. This often leaves me cynical and sarcastic. Writing about Boise State is like seeing a therapist. It’s a diversion from that crazy nonsensical world. It simplifies life; you win because you’re better and well-prepared, you lose because you’re not as good and didn’t prepare well. Although that’s the way much of life works, it’s often turned on its ear to make what is good bad and what is bad good.
If they ever start losing I may need a therapist.
Fans who blog:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Sports | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Fandom – I no longer care for Football | Geek Ergo Sum
- Sand Castles at the Tennis Court | Daily Prompt: Fandom | likereadingontrains
- ole, ole ole ole | Other than Lovie
- Park stools and fitness corners are great for doggy parkour :) |
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Fandom « Mama Bear Musings
- No, Not Really……. | downtownnokomis
- Go, team! | Relax…
- Daily Prompt : Fandom | Icezine
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | George and Nigel
- Sport Appreciation and Fandom | Tony’s Texts
- Fandomness | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Fanatical Fandom | New Visions
- NFL Addict | That Girl Ryan
- Richmondtown Sandlot [Daily Prompt: Fandom] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | The Blogging Path
- Why I Write About Boise State Football | The Jittery Goat
- There’s no crying in baseball! | Icescreammama
- Daily Prompt:If I were a great lover of Puccini, would that make me a Fandom of the Opera? | DCMontreal
- Fandom | Photos on the wall
- MVP and the Cheerleader | Daily Prompt: Fandom | Being a Huntress
- Daily Prompt: I don’t like cricket, oh no, I LOVE it. | Postcards from
- come on lads! | thematticuskingdom
- In my newsroom | Vivir, que no es poco
- Snow Sports… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Fandom – Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Fandom – Cricket Affectiveness Disorder | Geek Ergo Sum
- Fandom | bheehappy
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | I know, right?
- Fandom – CSK | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Sport Entertainment | Spunky Wayfarer
- Love Lovie | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Take Me Out to an O’s Game | Sorta-Ginger
- I’m a Fan of Writing | Iam Who Iam
- To be (a fan), or not to be, that is the question… | The Rider
- Fandom – The benefits of listening to Test Match Special | Geek Ergo Sum
- Am I a sports fan? But of course. | tornin2′s Blog
- Shuttlecock | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Rear Window | A Day in the Life
- Daily Prompt: Fandom — Beisbol | SERENDIPITY
- Vat hom Dawie | Hope* the happy hugger
- No sports please. Unless that diver fella is doing his thing. | thoughtsofrkh
- What It Takes To Love The Cubs | fanschmurl
- Stupid Fish | Perry In A Box
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | Vagabond
- Daily Post: Sporting a Mask | Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture
- Daily Prompt: Fandom – Not I | Randomness Expressed
- Fandom: Jumpers For Goalposts? | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: Fandom when the weather is nice :) | cinnwriterblog
- Daily Prompt – Dodgeball Sports Fan | Create & Motivate!
- Daily Prompt: Fandom » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Fandom – Sports? | Gaming, Women, and Me
- Daily Prompt, Fandom: St. Louis Cardinals | don of all trades
- Daily Prompt: Fandom | Indecisive Individual